Home Open Account Help 286 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NH oldies but goodies - Gorham and Bartlett

Date: 08/17/18 10:24
NH oldies but goodies - Gorham and Bartlett
Author: Pattenburg

Traveling over the various secondary roads of states and off of the interstates will sometimes find one coming across some interesting sights such as I discovered in Gorham and Bartlett, New Hampshire. B&M's 4265, an EMD F7A, and Grand Trunk Railway caboose 75965. That N5C caboose started its railroading career as PRR 477954, would become PC 23019 and later CR 23019. That little plaque seen in the lower right hand corner of the caboose gives a brief history as to how this caboose eventually found a home in Gorham. What rail road operates over that line to the left of B&M 4265?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/18 10:27 by Pattenburg.

Date: 08/17/18 10:25
Re: NH oldies but goodies - Gorham and Bartlett
Author: Pattenburg

Traveling Route 302 through Bartlett, NH I came upon two more oldies but goodies. The first one was Maine Central boxcar 35039 and Portland Terminal snowplow 68. Both pieces of equipment are in the process of being restored by the Bartlett Roundhouse Preservation Society.  The roundhouse was built by the Portland & Ogdensburg Railroad between 1887 and 1888, the all-wood Bartlett Engine House with six stalls was home to helper locomotives that would assist heavy trains over the grade leading to Crawford Notch, according to the club's website. Due to neglect over the years though the roundhouse is in dire need of repairs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/18 10:25 by Pattenburg.

Date: 08/17/18 10:36
Author: railrob

That is St. Lawrence and Alantic , a GWRR line.

Date: 08/17/18 11:14
Author: DavidP

railrob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is St. Lawrence and Alantic , a GWRR line.

This is the former Grand Trunk line from Montreal to Portland, ME.  The former B&M Berlin branch - abandoned in the 1980s -crossed over the GT about a mile west of the GT station.

Dave

Date: 08/17/18 17:53
Author: engineerinvirginia

I wonder if you put air to that half rotted box car, would it pass a brake test? 

Date: 08/17/18 18:09
Author: boejoe

Looks like arch-bar trucks on both pieces of equipment.  Snow plow ex-B&M most likely.  Ambroid/Northeastern Scale Models made an identical HO kit years and years ago.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0319 seconds