Home Open Account Help 345 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Dad took me back to Grafton, Ohio...UP OCS

Date: 09/21/18 18:49
Dad took me back to Grafton, Ohio...UP OCS
Author: Forever-Railfan-45

Back in the early to mid 1970's my father took my brother and I to the NYC tower at Grafton, Ohio; I remember the night well as it was cold and rainy. My father actually bought my mother some trivets on the way home to make peace for having my brother and I out so late that school night. The tower was actually across the track on the south side of what is now the CSX line; I believe this was once the Big Four line. I figured the place for me to go and catch the UP OCS would be Grafton; happened to also fall on my day off as well. The white figure on the ladder reminds me of that night as Dad went up to ask the tower operators if they had anything lined up and also turning around to tell my brother and I to say put until I come back down. Dad worked for the NYC/PC/CR. This tower protected the B&O/NYC crossing; corrections welcome. I met up with a young man whose grandfather has a key to the tower. He took my number and will advise on when a possible peek into the tower will be permissible...

Date: 09/21/18 18:52
Re: Dad took me back to Grafton, Ohio...UP OCS

Pictures four and five are of the UP OCS, running as P900-21 on CSX, coming up to Main Street in Grafton, Ohio. The tower is behind me on my right. Picture number six is of the CSX K142 with a BNSF leader passing the "tower operator" looking for the older trains which came once upon a time...

Date: 09/21/18 18:52
Author: refarkas

Great story to go along with the photos of the tower.
Bob

Date: 09/21/18 18:57

Pictures number seven and eight are of the NS 26E from last week with the NS 8105 Interstate leading and lastly we have the Wheeling and Lake Erie 261 waiting for a crew just north of the city of Canton, Ohio. Wish I could have a cup of coffee with dad under that tower..have a good weekend all.

Date: 09/21/18 21:00
Author: cornerfieldhobby

For this one, I like the history and tower more then the trains. But still very very nice catches.

Date: 09/22/18 09:39
Author: jdtravis

Love the photos of the tower. The last photo is an excellent low level weathering photo for model railroaders.

Date: 09/23/18 03:38
Author: jmbreitigan

Forever-Railfan-45 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pictures number seven and eight are of the NS 26E
> from last week with the NS 8105 Interstate leading
> and lastly we have the Wheeling and Lake Erie 261
> waiting for a crew just north of the city of
> Canton, Ohio. Wish I could have a cup of coffee
> with dad under that tower..have a good weekend
> all.
>  
Carl, maybe not a cup of coffee with your Dad but I am sure you have very fond memories of him.
John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0427 seconds