Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > .


Date: 10/10/18 07:59
.
Author: rantoul

.



Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/18 12:43 by rantoul.



Date: 10/10/18 08:08
Re: Hurricane Michael puts nail in CSX Fla. panahandle route coff
Author: Lackawanna484

Governor Scott is sounding the alarm about "low lying areas" and "many roads will be washed out" in the expected 8 to 12 feet high storm surge up the rivers and creeks.

It will be interesting to see how much of this storm is still packing a punch when it gets to the Carolinas.  People in Florence, Lumberton, etc have already been pounded.



Date: 10/10/18 10:03
Re: Hurricane Michael puts nail in CSX Fla. panahandle route coff
Author: howeld

Shouldn’t be too bad. CSX is pretty far inland in the Panhandle. Clear the downed trees and reinstall/fix crossing arms and should be back in business.

Posted from iPhone



Date: 10/10/18 10:21
Re: Hurricane Michael puts nail in CSX Fla. panahandle route coff
Author: calsubd

Your title makes it sound official, let's see what CSX says

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL



Date: 10/10/18 12:18
Re: Hurricane Michael puts nail in CSX Fla. panahandle route coff
Author: MEKoch

Sell the FL panhandle line (JAX to Alabama) to FEC.  They know how to run a railroad and build up local business. 



Date: 10/10/18 12:39
Re: Hurricane Michael puts nail in CSX Fla. panahandle route coff
Author: ctillnc

Well, that would be interesting. Can't imagine CSX would be keen to let FEC run Jacksonville-Flomaton-Mobile where they could interchange with NS or IC. Or interchange at Pensacola with AGR/BNSF. 



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/18 12:40 by ctillnc.



Date: 10/10/18 13:22
Re: Hurricane Michael puts nail in CSX Fla. panahandle route coff
Author: Lackawanna484

FEC could probably do a good job stimulating business along the Panhandle.

But, I would expect that there will be a lot of damage to bridges and right of way after this storm.  The combination of storm surge and low bridges is rarely a good thing



Date: 10/10/18 13:23
Re: Hurricane Michael puts nail in CSX Fla. panahandle route coff
Author: 2-10-2

As an aside regarding that map location; if you haven't ever seen that section of Hwy 90 at the base of the dam for that massive lake, it is quite a sight.

I did a bike ride along the panhandle and paralleled the CSX line for mile after mile along Hwy 90. At the time the traffic was pretty regular, and the Sunset Limited was still running all the way to Florida.

2-10-2



Date: 10/10/18 14:46
Re: Hurricane Michael puts nail in CSX Fla. panahandle route coff
Author: calsubd

Jacksonville news team in Panama city show's a string of boxcars tipped and leaning on a tank train on adjacent track,  It was on CBS47 in Jacksonville if you want to search, that's all for now though.

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL



Date: 10/10/18 15:06
Re: Hurricane Michael puts nail in CSX Fla. panahandle route coff
Author: calsubd

link to CBS 47,,,,https://www.actionnewsjax.com/

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL



Date: 10/10/18 17:35
Re: Hurricane Michael puts nail in CSX Fla. panahandle route coff
Author: engineerinvirginia

If CSX is still using the line they will fix it. The Piedmont sub was badly damaged by a hurricane remnant a few months before Buckingham Branch was to take over....CSX put on a work train and fixed it all. 



Date: 10/10/18 18:00
Re: Hurricane Michael puts nail in CSX Fla. panahandle route coff
Author: joe6w

I think the idea that along the path of the storm that the area the track runs through is low-lying and subject to storm surge is incorrect,



Date: 10/10/18 18:31
Re: Hurricane Michael puts nail in CSX Fla. panahandle route coff
Author: mully

engineerinvirginia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If CSX is still using the line they will fix it.
> The Piedmont sub was badly damaged by a hurricane
> remnant a few months before Buckingham Branch was
> to take over....CSX put on a work train and fixed
> it all. 

I remember they wanted to abandon the piedmont and mountain then hurricane Juan came along in Nov 85 and wrecked the James River Sub

Gary

Posted from iPhone



Date: 10/11/18 04:47
Re: Hurricane Michael puts nail in CSX Fla. panahandle route coff
Author: engineerinvirginia

mully Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> engineerinvirginia Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If CSX is still using the line they will fix
> it.
> > The Piedmont sub was badly damaged by a
> hurricane
> > remnant a few months before Buckingham Branch
> was
> > to take over....CSX put on a work train and
> fixed
> > it all. 
>
> I remember they wanted to abandon the piedmont and
> mountain then hurricane Juan came along in Nov 85
> and wrecked the James River Sub
>
> Gary
>
> Posted from iPhone

Yep, they toyed with the idea for a while after Pot Yard closed....but the flood of 85 convinced them of the value of an alternate route...of course running those loads tore up the largely unmaintained track and bent down the joint ends so you have the wobbly ride you have today. The only reason the rail has lasted this long yet is that it's good heavy rail. BB is putting in CWR however so smoother brighter days are ahead. 



Date: 10/11/18 04:59
Re: Hurricane Michael puts nail in CSX Fla. panahandle route coff
Author: Lackawanna484

CSX should have a statement on damage later today.

Posted from Android



Date: 10/11/18 05:29
Re: Hurricane Michael puts nail in CSX Fla. panahandle route coff
Author: mully

engineerinvirginia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> mully Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > engineerinvirginia Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > If CSX is still using the line they will fix
> > it.
> > > The Piedmont sub was badly damaged by a
> > hurricane
> > > remnant a few months before Buckingham Branch
> > was
> > > to take over....CSX put on a work train and
> > fixed
> > > it all. 
> >
> > I remember they wanted to abandon the piedmont
> and
> > mountain then hurricane Juan came along in Nov
> 85
> > and wrecked the James River Sub
> >
> > Gary
> >
> > Posted from iPhone
>
> Yep, they toyed with the idea for a while after
> Pot Yard closed....but the flood of 85 convinced
> them of the value of an alternate route...of
> course running those loads tore up the largely
> unmaintained track and bent down the joint ends so
> you have the wobbly ride you have today. The only
> reason the rail has lasted this long yet is that
> it's good heavy rail. BB is putting in CWR however
> so smoother brighter days are ahead. 

Wow. Where are they laying CWR? Haven’t seen that


Gary



Date: 10/11/18 08:24
Re: Hurricane Michael puts nail in CSX Fla. panahandle route coff
Author: mully

rantoul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> calsubd Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Jacksonville news team in Panama city show's a
> > string of boxcars tipped and leaning on a tank
> > train on adjacent track,  It was on CBS47 in
> > Jacksonville if you want to search, that's all
> for
> > now though.
>
> East end of the 'Bay Line' Panama City yard.

The wonderful weather channel had a dumb a** reporter walking between the cars and standing under the bottoms of the cars. What an idiot !!!!


Gary

Posted from iPhone



Date: 10/11/18 09:00
Re: Hurricane Michael puts nail in CSX Fla. panahandle route coff
Author: rusticmike6

I suppose this is the line that is for sale.  Photo from 1966 or 1967.




Date: 10/11/18 16:24
Re: Hurricane Michael puts nail in CSX Fla. panahandle route coff
Author: engineerinvirginia

mully Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> engineerinvirginia Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > mully Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > engineerinvirginia Wrote:
> > >
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > If CSX is still using the line they will
> fix
> > > it.
> > > > The Piedmont sub was badly damaged by a
> > > hurricane
> > > > remnant a few months before Buckingham
> Branch
> > > was
> > > > to take over....CSX put on a work train and
> > > fixed
> > > > it all. 
> > >
> > > I remember they wanted to abandon the
> piedmont
> > and
> > > mountain then hurricane Juan came along in
> Nov
> > 85
> > > and wrecked the James River Sub
> > >
> > > Gary
> > >
> > > Posted from iPhone
> >
> > Yep, they toyed with the idea for a while after
> > Pot Yard closed....but the flood of 85
> convinced
> > them of the value of an alternate route...of
> > course running those loads tore up the largely
> > unmaintained track and bent down the joint ends
> so
> > you have the wobbly ride you have today. The
> only
> > reason the rail has lasted this long yet is
> that
> > it's good heavy rail. BB is putting in CWR
> however
> > so smoother brighter days are ahead. 
>
> Wow. Where are they laying CWR? Haven’t seen
> that
>
>
> Gary

Approximately mp 90 to 91 or so, and 98.5 give or take to 100 or so. They bring in loads and loads of 39 foot sticks, lay them out, and field weld them. Cheaper than renting welding rail cars and unloading equipment. It's smooooooth. 



Date: 10/11/18 16:42
Re: Hurricane Michael puts nail in CSX Fla. panahandle route coff
Author: Jimbo

rusticmike6 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I suppose this is the line that is for sale. 
> Photo from 1966 or 1967.

Back then a lot of L&N track was pretty ratty.



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0788 seconds