Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Time to pay a $15 wage to van drivers

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 10/14/18 17:32
Time to pay a $15 wage to van drivers
Author: Lackawanna484

Chicago congress candidate Chuy Garcia joined representatives of four unions working for a $15 wage for crew van drivers.

The campaign for a living wage with benefits is aimed at the railroads in the Chicago area. The carriers have out sourced work to contractors, often for $11.

When workers employed by contractors agitate for improvements, can rail unions exert efforts to help?

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/railroad-crew-drivers-jesus-chuy-garcia-demand-living-wage/

Posted from Android

Date: 10/15/18 04:12
Re: Time to pay a $15 wage to van drivers
Author: junctiontower

My guess is if this comes to pass, you will see a lot LESS van drivers.  Isn't CSX already using more of their own people to move crews?

Date: 10/15/18 04:21
Author: Englewood

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
 can rail unions exert efforts to
> help?
>
Most of those jobs were once railroad union jobs that the workers / unions let go.

The railroads get what they pay for with most of these drivers.  Can't find their rear end with 
both hands.  As usual on the railroad, the "plan" often hinges on the lowest paid person 
on the property.

Date: 10/15/18 06:49

So, is the proper response for rail labor to sit on THEIR hands while management plays the divide and conquer game?

Posted from Android

Date: 10/15/18 07:14
Author: RFandPFan

junctiontower Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My guess is if this comes to pass, you will see a
> lot LESS van drivers.  Isn't CSX already using
> more of their own people to move crews?

Yes, Trainmasters are driving crews around Waycross now.

Date: 10/15/18 07:27
Author: BAB

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> So, is the proper response for rail labor to sit
> on THEIR hands while management plays the divide
> and conquer game?
>
> Posted from Android

The rail unions want public support for there people and dont seem to care other than gripe about the drivers quality when it comes to pay.   No diffrent than other jobs that are of low pay and the people using there services making very good money with benifits. So if the unions would support higher wages for them or try to get the drivers jobs brought back into the RR unions could be the best way to do it.

Date: 10/15/18 07:52
Author: jointauthority

Just wondering if our pay on the T&E side will go up to match the increase given to van drivers if this goes through? I don’t like my wages being devalued.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/15/18 08:14

If the crew haulers are paying $11 an hour with no benefits, they may have to settle for a lower caliber of employee in many places.

The driver and limo company in that 20 death accident in Scoharie NY situation both had a lot of issues.

Frankly, it seems to me that rail labor should be helping to unionize / advance these guys. They have a big stake in the quality of drivers / vans.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/15/18 08:33
Author: zchcsse

Lackawanna484 Wrote:

>
> Frankly, it seems to me that rail labor should be
> helping to unionize / advance these guys. They
> have a big stake in the quality of drivers / vans.
>
>
> Posted from Android

Agreed, since we are the ones who die or get injured in those vans.  

Date: 10/15/18 08:55

The problem is if they unionize and get 15 an hour you won’t be able to get rid of the ones who already here!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/15/18 09:48
Author: matts15487

Some of those drivers are union. https://www.ueunion.org/campaigns/renzenberger

Date: 10/15/18 11:01
Author: BRAtkinson

While I worked at  CSX Intermodal in West Springfield MA, the vans were a contract operation.  I think they switched companies at least 2 times, if not 3, in the 7 years I was there.  I recall them each being local van companies, the same ones that provide handicap transportation services in the area.  When I finally made it to #2 seniority and chose 3rd trick, I got to know the van driver fairly well as he'd come to use the toilet or get something from one of the vending machines.  He'd also stop every morning to pick up the paperwork for the conductor on outbound Q019 and deliver it to him/her instead of my jumping in the truck, driving less than a minute, putting the paperwork in a 'train crew mail' box (used for brake test slips and other crew paperwork), then driving back, and then dealing with a couple drivers wondering where was I?  He initially had a portable DVD player with him he'd watch between runs, but after 7-8 months, the company told him it had to go.  Not much later, they installed a driver-facing camera in the van to ensure the drivers weren't sleeping on the job.  He got a 7 day suspension as the camera showed him with his eyes closed for more than 1 second while driving maybe 5 mph down the very pothole filled road towards the yard office for his next pickup.  Until that happened, I had sort of figured that would be the job for me if he left the company and I was looking for some extra income after retiring.  Last I heard, the yard master is now the van driver.

While I was working 3rd trick, usually the van driver would be available to drive the train conductors and/or the 'yard job' conductor from one end intermodal yard to the other while picking up or dropping a train.  It saved waiting 5 minutes or so for them to walk from one end to the other, just to close an angle cock or make a spot, cut, or hitch at some point along one of the tracks.  On the nights that the van driver was unavailable, ie, 'out there' taking/picking up a crew I'd shuttle the crews as needed to get them out of town as quickly as possible as I was already out there verifying inbound container/trailer/car numbers was they were backing them in.  If they were out there during some miserable weather, I'd make it a point to go out and give them a minute or two of warming up/drying out time as well. It was always interesting trying to getone or two men, with or without brake sticks, in and out of the company pickup truck quickly.  Somewhere along the way, one of them must have mentioned to the YM that the 'intermodal guy' was driving them back and forth...a huge quarter mile each way!  I got ripped a new one shortly thereafter...not because I was crossing union boundaries or anything like that.  It was all about INSURANCE!  Our insurance wouldn't cover them if I got into an accident with them onboard.  I backed off on  providing 'taxi service' for a couple weeks, then went back to normal, figureing they'd given up watching playbacks of the yard cameras to see if I was 'cheating' and giving my fellow workers a break.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/18 11:09 by BRAtkinson.

Date: 10/15/18 13:39

Crossing craft jurisdictions is a mortal sin.

Unless you're the company, and you can use it to destroy the carmen, firemen, brakemen, clerks, etc.

I've said it before, but the craft system is God's gift to employers. They use it to set working people against other working people.

[/cynic]

Posted from Android

Date: 10/15/18 16:48
Author: wabash2800

There have been casualties (deaths) of railroaders killed while using these contract services. I know one was reported here some years ago. I followed such a van one day in New Haven, Indiana after coming back from Ohio. (It was the service that NS used.) The van was driving in the wrong lane, the wrong way on a two lane highway through New Haven. On coming traffic (including a semi) was pulling off the road to avoid a head-on collision. This happened for at least a half mile. I couldn't believe my eyes! (Obvioulsy the van was only occupied by the driver.) I called and reported it the the local police department and the woman on the phone didn't really seem interested. (Actually, I worked in New Haven for about 16 years and that is typical of that police department.) Many of these drivers make such low wages that the only way they can make any money is work many hours often with lack of sleep. It is my understanding that wages are even lower when they are paid by the mile.

To be honest with you, 15 an hour isn't really a living wage, even here in Indiana. If you live alone and have to make car payments, pay rent or a mortgage, insurance, food, gas, clothes, etc. I don't think one person can do it without assistance.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/18 16:55 by wabash2800.

Date: 10/15/18 17:02
Author: dcfbalcoS1

If they get more than $15/hour they probably ought to do some work too besides just driving. Keep the company books, do maintenance on the van, was, wax, help old people across the road before they go through, etc.

Date: 10/15/18 17:07
Author: goneon66

$15.00 an hr is a good wage for somebody supplementing their retirement income.......

Date: 10/15/18 17:54
Author: JOHNY5ALIVE

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> Crossing craft jurisdictions is a mortal sin.
>
> Unless you're the company, and you can use it to
> destroy the carmen, firemen, brakemen, clerks,
> etc.
>
> I've said it before, but the craft system is God's
> gift to employers. They use it to set working
> people against other working people.
>
>
>
> Posted from Android

Hmm, crossing craft lines didn’t destroy as you say the fireman, the carman, the clerk, and most brakemen positions. Technology and the majority of “Union Brothers” voting to sell their brakemen rights. Let’s get honest and factual please and thank you.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/18 17:55 by JOHNY5ALIVE.

Date: 10/15/18 18:42
Author: alamedafrank

They deserve at least $15 an hour; many are single mothers struggling to raise their kids. More than once, I helped pay for a special  event for a child, and I  know others did too; and I remember one lady telling me about an earlier Make A Wish trip her son went on;  brought me near to tears. On the other hand, it may allow for hiring better drivers. I was really scared a few times, once the conductor stopped the van and drove us himself, it was so dangerous. Frank, retired UP engineer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/18 20:24 by alamedafrank.

Date: 10/15/18 19:04

The problem is they all have stories that will make your heart hurt. But are any of them true?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/15/18 20:15
Author: rrman6

jointauthority Wrote:
> The problem is they all have stories that will
> make your heart hurt. But are any of them true?
>
> Posted from iPhone

I don't know for sure, but look at this country's school bus drivers too...not most, but there are some that should be banned from driving children or adults.  Makes one wonder what they are like in their private vehicles.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1324 seconds