Home Open Account Help 373 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Train Schedules

Date: 10/17/18 12:33
Train Schedules
Author: ToxicP

Folks, what is the best way to monitor/track freight rail schedules and changes to them? Assume that timetables aren't readily available as they are for passenger rail. But I've seen plenty of folks on here with intimate knowledge of what trains are moving to and fro. Where do you all get this info? Dispatcher friends?

Date: 10/17/18 13:07
Re: Train Schedules
Author: RFandPFan

http://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/CSX_Train_Symbols

http://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/NS_Train_Symbols

Date: 10/17/18 13:15
Author: halfmoonharold

I learned it from having a scanner on, and living near a railroad. It takes a while. I took lots of notes, then later, when I could get around, I bought timetables at train shows, followed the lines I was interested in, see what the locations look like, scout good photo spots, etc. I found more in-depth magazines, like Extra 2200 South, CTC Board, and Railpace. The internet seems to have spoiled people into expecting instant knowledge. Part of the fun is in the process of learning.

Date: 10/17/18 14:34
Author: engineerinvirginia

There is very little resembling a schedule where aggregates are concerned....coal, gravel, grain...etc....they just have to run all the time until the buyer needs no more. 

Date: 10/17/18 16:09
Author: ALCO630

engineerinvirginia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is very little resembling a schedule where
> aggregates are concerned....coal, gravel,
> grain...etc....they just have to run all the time
> until the buyer needs no more. 

Also not uncommon for unit trains such as these to be parked in a yard or siding until either the customer is ready for it.

There could also be multiple trains staged at multiple locations. When the customer accepts the first train each train moves up to the next siding or yard. No schedule here because of the customer's needs. The train could sit up to a week before it moves.

Posted from Android

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0435 seconds