Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSX Locomotives & Railway Muesuems

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 11/19/18 15:43
CSX Locomotives & Railway Muesuems
Author: 611Fan

Why can CSX not give more railway museums engines ? Is it some railroad museums do not have room ? CSX has sold enough locomotives to LTEX. Maybe CSX could get paid more if they let Railway museums lease them .

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/19/18 16:14
Re: CSX Locomotives & Railway Muesuems
Author: ns1000

RRs do not just "give" RR museums locos....

Its much more complicated than that...

Posted from Android

Date: 11/19/18 16:24
Author: ALCO630

Unfortunately, most museum's can bearly take care of what they already have.

Posted from Android

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

Date: 11/19/18 16:32
Author: dcfbalcoS1

If CSX didn't have any luck leasing them out, what in the world makes you think a museum can lease them to railroads ? ?

Date: 11/19/18 16:47

I think he means that CSX should lease locomotives to museums.

Posted from Android

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

Date: 11/19/18 16:57
Author: redneckrailfan

611Fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why can CSX not give more railway museums engines
> ? Is it some railroad museums do not have room ?
> CSX has sold enough locomotives to LTEX. Maybe CSX
> could get paid more if they let Railway museums
> lease them .
>
> Posted from iPhone

CSX is not under any obligation to just “give” anything to any museum.

Even when they do DONATE, not GIVE, something to a museum there is a lot more to it than calling up some organization and saying” hey do you want a free locomotive ?” .

CSX can sell all the locomotives they want to LTEX. Whoever offers the most money for something wins the prize.

these things have been explained several times before in your repetitive questions but you will undoubtedly ask the same things in a month or two.

Bryan Jones
Brooks, KY
Bryan's Train Photos

Date: 11/19/18 18:53
Author: JasonCNW

You keep asking this same question every month and every time you get the same answer. No one company railroad or otherwise is obligated to just donate or give away any of their assets to a museum.

If CSX has sold away half their old fleet of engines or leased them out thats their porogitive.
Why do you think a museum should get any of them? What do you want to see CSX do since you seem to have issues with how they are running things? I understand CSX has made a lot of bad decissions lately and I was never a fan or believed in anything EHH did, but you seem to have some kind of beef or agenda with CSX has you keep posting rethorical questions about operations. Just relax and watch trains bud its not the end of the world.
JC

Posted from Android

Date: 11/19/18 18:57
Author: MC6853

There's a U36B in YN3 paint in North East, PA... Is that good enough?

Now that I think of it, they have a B30-7 there too that CSX themselves repainted specifically for the donation... Guess it's time for you to take a trip to Pennsylvania!

Date: 11/19/18 21:57
Author: CSX602

Several units in the B&O museum were donated by CSX, who probably has given more locomotives to museums and societies since 1980 than any other railroad...
And BTW, there are a few more CSX units in operation that are tagged to go to museums when retired.  (Reportedly the units formerly 8595, 8643 and 4447 among them)

So anybody bringing up any nonsense about CSX not donating to museums is either an anti-CSX troll or very uninformed.

Lets see...  Some I can think of immediately... 
About 7 units in Baltimore (where older equipment is stored under a roof repaired with CSX corporate donation)... two near Erie... one in Hamlet... two to the heritage center in Clifton Forge...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/18 22:13 by CSX602.

Date: 11/20/18 02:59
Author: VaCentralRy

When you buy a new car, what do you do with your old one: Sell it privately, trade it in to the dealer, or donate it to a charity like Kars 4 Kids? (Good luck getting that earworm jingle out of your mind now.)

John

Date: 11/20/18 03:30
Author: Mberry

Not this stupid line of reasoning again.... my head hurts.

Michael

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/20/18 04:31

CSX602 Wrote:
> Several units in the B&O museum were donated by
> CSX, who probably has given more locomotives to
> museums and societies since 1980 than any other
> railroad...
> And BTW, there are a few more CSX units in
> operation that are tagged to go to museums when
> retired.  (Reportedly the units formerly 8595,
> 8643 and 4447 among them)
>
> So anybody bringing up any nonsense about CSX not
> donating to museums is either an anti-CSX troll or
> very uninformed.
>
> Lets see...  Some I can think of
> immediately... 
> About 7 units in Baltimore (where older equipment
> is stored under a roof repaired with CSX corporate
> donation)... two near Erie... one in Hamlet... two
> to the heritage center in Clifton Forge...

What is the significance of the 8595 and 8643? Just because they were the last Chessie and last SBD SD50's? I remember something about 4447 but forget what.

I remember all of the foam drooling when CSX was going to retire the 4617. It must be preserved. How dare CSX not preserve it. there was nothing historical about it other than it was the last unit still running around in C&O blue.

Not everything needs to be saved nor can it be saved. Get over it.

Posted from Android

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/18 04:39 by ALCO630.

Date: 11/20/18 05:08
Author: gbmott

A railroad doesn't want to donate a piece of equipment that in ten years will look like a reject from the junk yard so want some amount of confidence that a museum is capable of caring for a donated item.  Good museums recognize their limitations and will decline an offered donation if they know they can't properly care for it.  CSX in recent years has been as, or more, generous as any Class I.

Gordon

Date: 11/20/18 05:36
Author: mully

You have asked this same question before!!!!!!

Gary

Date: 11/20/18 05:54

ALCO630 Wrote:
> What is the significance of the 8595 and 8643?
> Just because they were the last Chessie and last
> SBD SD50's? I remember something about 4447 but
> forget what.

8595 was the last unit delivered to B&O.   8643 was last unit delivered to C&O and last Chessie unit delivered.  4447 was the last Chessie GP40-2, last 4-axle unit delivered to B&O, and named the Arch McElvany for the former Chessie General Manager of Operations.

> I remember all of the foam drooling when CSX was
> going to retire the 4617. It must be preserved.
> How dare CSX not preserve it. there was nothing
> historical about it other than it was the last
> unit still running around in C&O blue.

CSX 4617 was the last unit in C&O paint, having worn its original C&O paint for 37 years.  CSX repainted the unit last year to its original C&O paint and number (C&O 7534) and donated it to the C&OHS who leased it to Buckingham Branch RR.

Date: 11/20/18 06:49

Wow. I didn't know about the 4617.

Posted from Android

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

Date: 11/20/18 10:54
Author: SCL1517

Yes, the list of donations from CSX is long, and they are to be applauded. Let's not leave out the SD45-2 that was just donated to the Southeastern Railway Museum in Atlanta (CSXT 8954). Sometimes the donations go sour--remember the C&O SD18 that went to Baltimore, along with the L&N U25B? The U25B is safe at Oak Ridge, but it had somewhat of a close scrape with the torch after Baltimore (at RMDI, where it was cannibalized).

Date: 11/20/18 11:52
Author: lapklub

I stumbled upon the gem last week.  I don't know the exact history upon how it got to where it is, but if I remember corectly CSX did a little bit of work on it last year. 
This thing is beautiful, especially if you like Clinchfield and SD45s.  It sitting in the wide open along with a few of her cousins.  I can't tell you where it is though because it's a secret.
It's in a secret location in a Secret City, but it's right out in the open.  There was a trailer parked in front of it the other day, kinda blocking it, but it was still nice to see her,  She was in the spotlight last year on the CSX(CRR) Santa Train.
CRR 800 got most of the glory but she shined on the northbound ferry run.
Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/18 11:53 by lapklub.

Date: 11/20/18 13:11
Author: MC6853

4447 was also the last unpatched Chessie unit, keeping that number until 1993 I believe... Became CSXT 6341...

Date: 11/21/18 05:53

MC6853 Wrote:
> 4447 was also the last unpatched Chessie unit,

I recall it was among the last two...  Chessie GP15T #1500 was the other one and I think it lasted a little longer.  Both were still in Chessie paint in early 1994 but painted CSX YN2 by end of that year.   Other Chessie units remained (especially GP38s) but they were patched/renumbered.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0806 seconds