Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > 2017 Western Road Trip- Delmarva Central Railroad Day 2

Date: 12/11/18 03:34
2017 Western Road Trip- Delmarva Central Railroad Day 2
Author: trainman7774

Continuing with photos from my 2017 road trip.            

On October 26, 2017 I photographed the Delmarva Central Railroad.  Here are the photos.  

1. Delmarva Central 3505 and 3506 begin the trip to interchange with Norfolk Southern.  The train has just crossed Fairground Road in Harrington Delaware

2. Delmarva Central 3505 heads through Felton Delaware on its way to interchange with Norfolk Southern

3. Delmarva Central 3505 crosses Paradise Alley Road in Felton Delaware on its way to interchange with Norfolk Southern

I hope everyone enjoys the photos.    

My Flickr site: https://www.flickr.com/people/145294857@N06/            

Chris Hughes            
Hillsborough, NJ  

Date: 12/11/18 03:36
Re: 2017 Western Road Trip- Delmarva Central Railroad Day 2

On October 26, 2017 I photographed the Delmarva Central Railroad.  Here are the photos.   

4. Delmarva Central 3506 passes along E Railroad Avenue in Felton Delaware

5. Delmarva Central 1564 and 1555 sit in the yard at Dover Delaware

6. Another view of 1564 and 1555 sitting in the yard at Dover Delaware

Chris Hughes             
Hillsborough, NJ 

Date: 12/11/18 03:38

7. Delmarva Central 3505 heads through Dover Delaware on its way to interchange with Norfolk Southern

8. Delmarva Central 3505 and 3506 back towards the cars that Norfolk Southern has brought down. Clayton Delaware

9. Delmarva Central 3506 pumping up the air before leaving with the cars Norfolk Southern brought down. Clayton Delaware

Chris Hughes             
Hillsborough, NJ   

Date: 12/11/18 03:40

10. Delmarva Central 3506 leaving with the cars Norfolk Southern brought down. Clayton Delaware

11. Delmarva Central 3506 approaches the station at Clayton Delaware

12. Delmarva Central 3506 passes the station at Clayton Delaware 

Chris Hughes             
Hillsborough, NJ   

Date: 12/11/18 03:44

13. Delmarva Central 3056 and 3505 approach the yard at Dover Delaware

14. Delmarva Central 3056 and 3505 working the yard at Dover Delaware

15. Delmarva Central 3506 and 3505 pass a recently harvested field in Viola Delaware

Chris Hughes              
Hillsborough, NJ   

Date: 12/11/18 03:46

16. Another shot of Delmarva Central 3506 and 3505 passing the recently harvested field in Viola Delaware

17. Delmarva Central locomotives 2501, 2502, 3506 and 3505 sit by the office in Harrington Delaware

18. Different view of Delmarva Central locomotives in Harrington Delaware

Chris Hughes              
Hillsborough, NJ   

Date: 12/11/18 03:48

19. Delmarva Central locomotives 2501, 2502, 3506 and 3505 sit by the office in Harrington Delaware

20. Different views of Delmarva Central locomotives in Harrington Delaware

21. Delmarva Central 3505 and 3506 prepare to tie the train down. Fairground Road in Harrington Delaware

I hope everyone enjoyed the photos.      

Chris Hughes              
Hillsborough, NJ   

Date: 12/11/18 03:50
Author: ClubCar

Thanks Chris for those outstanding photos and coverage of the Delmarva Central Railroad.  In your last photo, the switch going to the left, is that where the branch line was heading down towards Easton, Maryland?  I know that this line has been out of service for many years; however someone told me that the railroad still serves a customer at the beginning of that old line in Clayton.  I've attached a photo from a train excursion trip that I rode back in 1984 from Clayton down into Maryland to Easton and return.  The photo shows the cars including a Pullman called the "Defender" on the branch in Clayton.  Thanks and have a very Merry Christmas.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 12/11/18 06:37
Author: Gonut1

John,
That switch is an abandoned industrial siding. Seaford is about 15 miles further south from Harrington on the "mainline".
Go

Date: 12/11/18 07:00
Author: WM_1109

Gonut1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> John,
> That switch is an abandoned industrial siding.
> Seaford is about 15 miles further south from
> Harrington on the "mainline".
> Go

True that. And true that.
But, more to the point, Clayton is about 28 miles north of Harrington.
PCTC map, 01/1976
-Ted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/18 07:21 by Theowhitey.

Date: 12/11/18 08:03

Gonut1 Wrote:
> John,
> That switch is an abandoned industrial siding.
> Seaford is about 15 miles further south from
> Harrington on the "mainline".
> Go
Gonut1; I do not think that you understood my question.  Where the photo clearly shows the locomotives passing by the Clayton station, there is a switch coming off on the right of those engines and I want to know if this is the beginning of the branch line that originally ran from Clayton, Delaware down to Easton, Maryland.  If it is, I was told that the track only goes down from the main a short distance now where there is a single customer served.  Is this true?  The photo that I attached above clearly shows the excursion train on that track as I remember it when I was there in Clayton and in the attached photo you can see the Clayton Station up on the right in the photo.

Date: 12/11/18 10:16

John,

Thanks for the kind words about my photos.

Not from the area. But, there is a short spur that comes off and goes to CGF Clayton. The track does end there. 

Hope that helps.

Chris Hughes
Hillsborough NJ

Date: 12/11/18 11:24

trainman7774 Wrote:
> John,
>
> Thanks for the kind words about my photos.
>
> Not from the area. But, there is a short spur that
> comes off and goes to CGF Clayton. The track does
> end there. 
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Chris Hughes
> Hillsborough NJ

Thanks, that's most likely the track that used to be a branch line to Easton, Maryland.  Parts of that line are still there in many places; however the track was severed where it went over a bridge over Route 404 near Queen Anne in Maryland as they widened the road which is a main road to Denton, Maryland and beyond.  The rest of the line is covered with trees growing in the right-of-way, but it was a very nice rail line when we rode the excursion train back in 1984 and it still had many freight customers located on that line.  I never could understand why it was abandoned.

Date: 12/11/18 12:47
Author: boejoe

Chris;  great series of photos.  These new loco colors are a lot more pleasant to view than the previous black/white.  Once upon a time at Felton there was a former South Shore bay window caboose on the west side of the tracks.  Not sure if still there or if you saw it.  Also, a 1/2 mile west of the track off the main road was a collection of privately owned rail equipment including a 44T switcher, freight cars and another caboose or two.  Again, not sure if still there.  I know nothing else about the equipment.
At Harrington I suppose you saw the preserved signal tower and PRR cabin car.
All the best.
jb

Just looked at Google Earth and, indeed, CSS&SB bay window caboose shown on 2012 street view.  Now partially hidden by trees on the south side of Rt 12 immediately west of track.  A bit further south of that location, also adjacent to the tracks, is Pioneer Materials with a remote controlled SW (ex-Bethlehem Steel) that I saw many years ago.  It too, is visible from an aerial view.  And I also found the rail equipment referenced above.  Its off Rt 12, perhaps 1/4 mile west of track vs. 1/2 mile, along a tree line and hard to identify.  Looks like a former PRR N8 cabin car based on aerial view of cupola shape.  Can't make out a 44T switcher any more but a few freight cars are obvious.  What once seemed to be private property now has a road in that area suggesting access to the equipment is a possiblility.
I thought the former station building existed when I visited Felton years ago - now no sign of it.  It was practically at the Rt 12 crossing.  UPDATE:  went back to Google Maps and found station still exists.  Two blocks north of the Rt 12 crossing on the east side of the track.  Identical in appearance to the station in Clayton.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/18 08:40 by boejoe.

Date: 12/11/18 16:16
Author: VaCentralRy

Clayton branch: Track runs a couple hundred feet to the Southern States which gets occasional covered hoppers for fertilizer. There was also a brief burst of traffic when a biodiesel plant opened and operated for a few months. Another siding ran to the hanorver Foods veggie cannery but that was abandoned into the dirt years ago.

John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2735 seconds