Home Open Account Help 236 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Need help in identifying a critter

Date: 12/11/18 18:44
Need help in identifying a critter
Author: ns2557

Last week we were in Brookhaven Mississippi. Down this way is a facility operated by American Rail Car Industries. I recall seeing this unit previous visits down here,but it was never in a position to shoot. Well, this time, it was. But, what is it? And what are the reporting marks if any for ARI? Could it be as simple as ARIX? Curious minds are a wondering.  No number on this unit either that I could see.  Taken on Dec 6 2018.  Brookhaven Ms along the ex IC now CN Main.  Thanks for any ideas or positive info. Ya'll take care. Ben

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/18 18:45 by ns2557.

Date: 12/11/18 23:01
Re: Need help in identifying a critter
Author: boejoe

To me it seems to have some features of small GE switchers.  Beyond that, I don't know it's model number or have any other clue.

Date: 12/12/18 07:29
Author: Buhl56

The side rod trucks look like a GE 45 ton unit, but the mufflers and hood look like it may have the engines replaced.

Date: 12/12/18 08:19
Author: Rmosele

I don't know the history of the locomotive but as far as the reporting marks: ARI is American Railcar Industries, the location where it works.

Date: 12/12/18 13:22
Author: engineerinvirginia

The original engines are probably hard to get parts for, but later models engine are more efficient and easy peasy to fit up. 

Date: 12/13/18 00:33
Author: wpamtk

It's a "Phase IV" GE 45-tonner, a type built during 1959-75. Jay Reed's "Critters, Dinkies & Centercabs" describes them on pages 51 and 56. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0291 seconds