Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Grade Separated Underpass Update 12.12.18

Date: 12/12/18 05:17
Grade Separated Underpass Update 12.12.18
Author: NSSpike

Scope Of Project:The project consists of a 3.10 mile bypass of hi-way SR92 east of Douglasville Georgia and includes three east/west bridges over the new north/south hi-way. East Strickland Street / NS East End Mainline / Siding & US78 Bankhead Hwy. Back on January 30 of this year during the annual MOW outage of the NS Alabama East End district the cut in of the shoofly around the railroad's new bridge location took place. That was 11 months ago.

Link To Last Post On This Topic. https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,4626274
Link To Next Update on this subject:https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,4777624

Link To Original Post. https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,4233971
(
With Artist Rendering of the completed project & aerial view.)

Since the last update posted on this project back in early September 2018 construction crews recently completed the installation of the required shoring system along the northern edge of the siding track and mainline. There has been little to no further progress on this project for the last several weeks. Each Monday morning around 8am an NS RW will get track time and the contractor will take several elevation reading of the mainline and siding. This is to verify that the road bed and tracks are stable. The only associated work currently in progress involves a waterline that is being re-routed that is in the area where the East Strickland Street bridge will be built adjacent to the the new railroad bridge. 

So during the past 11 months, the main and siding track were shifted and the shoring work completed. That is it!!!At this point I am guessing the DOT contractor will complete the railroad bridge by October 2019. But NS won't place the tracks on the new bridge until the annual East End District MOW outage January / February 2020

#1. With the I beams in place the 6x6 wood timbers were worked into place in between the I beams as seen here. The lateral boring equipment has drilled holes through cut openings in the I beams deep into the bed rock below the tracks.

#2. Cables along with PVC pipe used to pump the cement into the bored out holes are assembled and ready for installation. 

#3 Each set of cable is made up of 3-pair sets that are then inserted into the drilled holes and Portland cement TYPE I-II was pumped into the holes to hold them in place.

...more to follow... 

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/20 03:58 by NSSpike.

Date: 12/12/18 05:19
Re: Grade Separated Underpass Update 12.12.18

#4. After the cables are installed and the cement has cured the three cables are routed through a retainer plate that is welded to the I beams. Once locked in place the excess cables are trimmed off. 

#5. On October 27 AMTK 19 heads west bound through the construction area. 

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 12/12/18 06:20
Author: kevink

Nice example of a soldier pile wall with tiebacks. Thanks for your ongoing documentation of this project. I have a number of projects with shooflies under design and one headed to construction this year (we hope).

Date: 12/12/18 07:10

kevink Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice example of a soldier pile wall with tiebacks.
> Thanks for your ongoing documentation of this
> project. I have a number of projects with
> shooflies under design and one headed to
> construction this year (we hope).

Kevink, Thanks for the reply that includes the correct name to this "shoring system". Doing a search on Soldier Pile Wall
reviled that this shoring project is very small compared to other examples shown!!! 
Engineering projects, especially associated with the railroads have always been an interest of mine.

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 12/12/18 07:51
Author: exhaustED

What do the cemented tubes add that the I-beams haven't already taken care of?

Date: 12/12/18 10:02
Author: choodude

exhaustED Wrote:
> What do the cemented tubes add that the I-beams haven't already taken care of?

A warning to humans to watch their step.  You may notice a rope railing attached to the top of the tubed.

​Brian

Date: 12/12/18 10:54

exhaustED Wrote:
> What do the cemented tubes add that the I-beams
> haven't already taken care of?
The tiebacks add to the structural capacity of the wall. I assume that the new underpass excavation will be next to this wall. As they excavate down, the H-piles will want to flex toward the excavation. The tiebacks keep this from happening.

Date: 12/12/18 20:05
Author: exhaustED

kevink Wrote:
> exhaustED Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What do the cemented tubes add that the I-beams
> > haven't already taken care of?
> The tiebacks add to the structural capacity of the
> wall. I assume that the new underpass excavation
> will be next to this wall. As they excavate down,
> the H-piles will want to flex toward the
> excavation. The tiebacks keep this from happening.

Ah yes, makes sense, thanks.

Date: 12/13/18 04:01

kevink Wrote:
> The tiebacks add to the structural capacity of the
> wall. I assume that the new underpass excavation
> will be next to this wall. As they excavate down,
> the H-piles will want to flex toward the
> excavation. The tiebacks keep this from happening.

The top elevation of the road (GA-92) that will pass under the three bridges to be built will be 39ft. below the rails.
So there is a good amount of excavation to take place much of it is solid rock.
As to the safety railing. Yes 3 cables are strung from end to end on the stantions welded to the I beams.
The track closest to the wall is the non-signaled siding that is worked almost everyday by the local A25.

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 12/13/18 05:50

TO member kevink:
Since this is in your wheel house:
Looking for an explaination on what are I believe 2"+ PVC pipe about 6-8",  long that after having 4 slices equally placed are then
compressed to form some type of sleve that the cable sets are run through. 

Thanks for sharing with the group.
Phil

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 12/13/18 06:35

NSSpike Wrote:
> TO member kevink:
> Since this is in your wheel house:
> Looking for an explaination on what are I believe
> 2"+ PVC pipe about 6-8",  long that after having
> 4 slices equally placed are then
> compressed to form some type of sleve that the
> cable sets are run through. 
>
> Thanks for sharing with the group.
> Phil

Those are spacers to keep the cable centered in the hole. This enables the grout to completely encase the cable. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0924 seconds