Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Exploring some new photo spots on the NS Conemaugh Line

Date: 01/02/19 16:42
Exploring some new photo spots on the NS Conemaugh Line
Author: woytek

Happy new year, all! I had a free day today, so I went to a couple of new spots (for me) on the NS Conemaugh Line and made one catch at each, then headed to a familiar spot close to home for a last catch before heading home. 

1.) At CP SHARP, it looks like the old "new" cantilever has been taken down, and the NEW new cantilever has been put in place. I've never photographed from here, but I see it every day on my bus to and from work, so I was anxious to get down there and see what it was like. I could see myself camping out here for a day and trying to shoot some from both sides of the tracks and a few locations up and down from the CP sheds. I'm not sure how much leeway I have on the other side of the tracks, but I was not bothered on the road side. I caught the NS 7232 leading a unit train of tankers east.

2.) At the Brilliant Branch underpass, I caught NS 7254 leading a mixed goods train east. I was happy to see some unique loads here, including tractors and steel plate. I was also surprised to see the Erie Lackawanna heritage unit in the consist (trailing, unfortunately). I've always wanted to photograph some stuff around the Aspinwall stretch. This train came up fast--between the time I heard them call in at CP ETNA and hearing the train approaching, I had just enough time to get the video started and pick a spot on the side of the tracks. In the end, the video ended up being a great shot, but I wish I had been standing on the other side of the tracks. I'll be back here again to experiment. 

3.) Video from the NS 7254 run above. 

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 01/02/19 16:54
Re: Exploring some new photo spots on the NS Conemaugh Line

And, from the final spot just east of West Tarentum yard, I caught the NS 9285 in a three-unit lash-up driving another mixed goods train east. I heard a bunch of radio chatter while waiting for this guy, who I *think* was the 12G(?). There was a local working nearby (perhaps up at the Natrona Ludlum works recycling siding? Or maybe just a little further up near Freeport?). It sounded like they were assembling a consist. At one point, someone called in that they had a "big train already, 50 cars." Then a new voice entered the radio and said that the dispatcher needs them to clear off of this railroad ASAP. The train crew (I think) responded that they would get in touch with the dispatcher. A bit of radio traffic about them getting into a siding and locking everything down followed, then they rang-up the dispatcher and said that train brake and hand brakes were applied, reversers removed, and switches were lined. The dispatcher acknowledged that and called to the 12G and said he was ready for them at Colfax. Then the dispatcher started calling around on at least two different towers trying to find a cab near West Tarentum to pick up a Trainmaster off of the 12G. I don't know what this was all about--maybe someone can explain what was going on? I also noticed several NS trucks at the CP shed right outside of Blawnox and at another shed in Creighton with their computers on showing some sort of graphical display. After this train passed, I heard "NS Road Foreman" calling for the PTI cab a couple of times. Then I was home, and heard another eastbound making its way up the river. I wish I had stayed around a bit to catch it, too! 

Interesting bit on these photos: The second unit had some engine compartment doors open (second photo)! 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/19 17:09 by woytek.

Date: 01/02/19 17:26
Author: Lackawanna484

Thanks for sharing.  I really liked your second picture, lots of contrast on a grimy day

Date: 01/03/19 02:37
Author: reel_smooth

From what  we can see of the consist on that last one, looks like it'd be a 14G.

Date: 01/03/19 07:51
Author: jmbreitigan

Congratulations on VOTD. I enjoyed your locations.
John

Date: 01/03/19 17:00

Hi all! Thanks for the recognition! That's pretty fun. 

14G sounds right for the symbol--thanks for the clarification. One of the things I want to do this year is try to be more aware of train symbols, which will also probably help me to figure out where goods are coming from and going to. 

jonathan

Date: 01/03/19 20:43
Author: coach

What is that structure the train is passing  thru in the video??

Date: 01/04/19 07:43
Author: rhotond

The structure is the old passenger line north leg of the wye at Aspenwal crossing the allegheny river to the Brilliant branch.

Note that the conemaugh is primarily a 1 way line (eastward) with a train about every hour to 1.5 hrs(merchandise, coal, tank and grain) all moving at track speed of 40 mph.   Two reverse moves a day  can sneak up on you with the shelocta Mty coal train running at track speed (?+).  Once a week there is another load coal west bound from the old buffalo line  or the B&P

Date: 01/05/19 00:00
Author: coach

Thank you!!

rhotond Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The structure is the old passenger line north leg
> of the wye at Aspenwal crossing the allegheny
> river to the Brilliant branch.
>
> Note that the conemaugh is primarily a 1 way line
> (eastward) with a train about every hour to 1.5
> hrs(merchandise, coal, tank and grain) all moving
> at track speed of 40 mph.   Two reverse moves a
> day  can sneak up on you with the shelocta Mty
> coal train running at track speed (?+).  Once a
> week there is another load coal west bound from
> the old buffalo line  or the B&P

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1477 seconds