Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Take a Break in Middletown Ohio Today!

Date: 02/01/19 20:40
Take a Break in Middletown Ohio Today!
Author: tq-07fan

Middletown is just that, about in the middle of Dayton and Cincinnati. My dad would work there sometimes with Ohio Bell and then take us down there to show us the hot steel trains. Armco Steel and other stuff. It is just far enough away from Dayton and Cincinnati to remain somewhat exotic and elusive to me to this day. Today I had a five hour break in my split run and since WLW kept saying it had snowed more as you went farther north so I decided to come home get my scanner and camera and head up to Middletown. I heard the New Castle District Dispatcher tell 200 that they would be held at Camden for three southbounds and even though the nearby New Castle District would provide farm scenery but instead I still went with urban Middletown. The signal at CP 228 was clear for a Westbound (compass south) so I set up at 1st Ave and University Blvd. The shots of what I think may be 375 are actually taken from the freight station platform for the Baltimore and Ohio / Cincinnati Hamilton and Dayton. The CH&D mainline, which is now the CSX Toledo Sub runs on the West side of the Great Miami River but they had and still have a long and somewhat busy branchline to Middletown. The Pennsylvania also had a branchline from the C & X but after Penn Central it was cut at Hageman Jct and is now the connection for the Indiana and Ohio Railway to get to their Lebanon Branch. The mainline through Middletown was the CCC&StL / Big 4 but is now the Norfolk Southern Dayton District. All the while 305 had been switching in Mid-Reed Yard which cuts away from the former Pennsylvania and connects to the Dayton District using a wye. 305 got their train together and although a few other places looked good I just couldn't see trying to walk through the snow in my work shoes on the highway overpasses that cross the railway. Instead I set up for a movie at approximately at North Ave a little south of where the Penn Central built a station in Middletown. That station is gone but the vantage gives a look at how the stop lights No Right Turn signs and crossing gates all function together dozens of times a day.

Thank you for looking. 

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 02/01/19 23:28
Re: Take a Break in Middletown Ohio Today!
Author: cabsignaldrop

Neat photos, Jim!  Did you visit the local White Castles?  I know you were devastated when the last one shut down in Dayton.

Date: 02/02/19 08:33
Author: borg

In second picture I see a yellow "critter" in backround.  Is that in Downtown Middletown?  Looks like a scrap yard.

Date: 02/02/19 09:30
Author: tq-07fan

borg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In second picture I see a yellow "critter" in
> background.  Is that in Downtown Middletown? 
> Looks like a scrap yard.

You are correct on it being at the Cohen scrap yard to the east of downtown Middletown.

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,3495608,3495608#msg-3495608

They still have of the other smaller critters I was totally surprised to see yesterday. 

cabsignaldrop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Neat photos, Jim!  Did you visit the local White
> Castles?  I know you were devastated when the
> last one shut down in Dayton.

cabsignaldrop, you are one sick puppy. I think you eating all those White Castles messed up your brain. Of course your brain was probably already messed up if you willingly ate White Castles.

Jim

Date: 02/02/19 09:52
Author: borg

Thank you.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0709 seconds