Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS Operating Division Changes Forthcoming???

Date: 02/07/19 06:28
NS Operating Division Changes Forthcoming???
Author: NSSpike

NOTE: The original post & title has been edited to include known current information.

Sometime back a few years ago, mid-2017 I recall hearing that NS was going to trim down to EIGHT operating divisions. On March 15, 2016 Norfolk Southern went from three operating regions the Eastern, Western & Northern to two being the Northern & Southern Regions. This change was a part of their five year strategic plan announced in December 2015. At that time the divisions within the two regions were:
March 15, 2016
Northern Region (5): Dearborn, Lake, Illinois, Harrisburg & Pittsburgh
Southern Region (5): Piedmont, Alabama, Georgia, Central & Pocahontas
NOTE: On February 1, 2016 the Virginia & Pocahontas were joined to form a much larger Pocahontas Division.

On July 18, 2017 Norfolk Southern announced that they would be consolidating parts the Central Division that was headquartered in Knoxville TN into three other divisions, Alabama, Lake & Illinois. This change would take the number of NS Divisions from 10 to 9. 
November 1, 2017
Northern Region (5): Dearborn, Lake, Illinois, Harrisburg & Pittsburgh
Southern Region (4): Piedmont, Alabama, Georgia, & Pocahontas

During the past year there have been several changes effecting the Piedmont Division with the Georgia Division controlling operations to the east of Atlanta up to at least Greenville SC. It has also been noted that the Pocahontas divisionis controlling operations extending to the south from the north end of the Piedmont. Thus a possible consolidation of another NS division into two adjoining divisions. To date I find no official announcement by NS related to the Piedmont Division. Perhaps detailed information on this subject will be forthcoming during next weeks announcement of the new NS Operating Plan. I expect we will hear of additional changes related to new operating divisions within the NS system.

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/19 03:40 by NSSpike.

Date: 02/07/19 07:01
Re: NS Operating Division Question
Author: Notch7

the Piedmont and Pokey are now uinder one general manager in Roanoke.  Each division has a superintendent. Piedmont dispactching is done from Atlanta.

Date: 02/07/19 08:35
Author: caylorman

So, where's the Illinois Division?

Date: 02/07/19 12:28
Author: DevalDragon

In Illinois I think.

Sorry, couldn't resist...

caylorman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, where's the Illinois Division?

Date: 02/07/19 12:40
Author: caylorman

I knew I was going to get an answer like that as soon as I hit the Post button...  :)

DevalDragon Wrote:
> In Illinois I think.
>
> Sorry, couldn't resist...
>

Date: 02/07/19 15:33
Author: Off-pending

caylorman Wrote:
> So, where's the Illinois Division?

Don’t worry, NS forgets about the Illinois division too. Illinois division is part of the western region with the Lake division.

This will probably change before I hit send.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/08/19 19:36
Author: jmbreitigan

Hello Phil, I just heard from a trusted source that NS closed West Brownsville yard ( West Brownsville, PA.) Now coal trains will run from Shire Oaks to the mines to load. Only time you may see a train at West Brownsville is one that outlawed or one waiting for a north bound train. A cost saving move I was told. A few years ago NS did a lot of work expanding West Brownsville yard. Shire Oaks could get crowded. I guess time will tell.
John

Date: 02/09/19 13:11
Author: justalurker66

Is there a current division map available? I keep finding older maps with the old divisions or "current" maps with no divisions.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0412 seconds