Home Open Account Help 388 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > My Next Question Regarding Toledo to Dayton Traffic

Date: 02/09/19 18:43
My Next Question Regarding Toledo to Dayton Traffic
Author: Eagle22

To All:

I am starting a new thread that is sort of related to my other thread in regards to the CSX Toledo to Dayton line. What type of industries remain, and, are served along the line? Thank you for all the responses on the previous thread.

Date: 02/09/19 19:18
Re: My Next Question Regarding Toledo to Dayton Traffic
Author: bath_wildcat

Wapakoneta has something there as there is a metal shop in Lima. The Cairo, and Columbus Grove elevators iirc are serviced as well.

I grew up on this line back a few years ago. As far as I know so far there is at North Cairo a fertilizer plant and a rail car repair shop no more than a stones throw away from where I grew up.

At Botkins there is the Tru point facility. I was gr a need access with their permission to check it out and check out their two switchers, one of which I was granted in cab access with a Tru point employee.

Michael Fair
Royal Oak, MI

Date: 02/09/19 20:10
Author: farmer

A few industries at Perrysburg rail served by a local out of Walbridge.
Next would be Northern Ohio Grain at Weston loading 15 cars of grain at a time.
Legacy Farmers at Custar loads unit trains of grain and will also receive unit trains of fertilizer very soon.
Nothing till Leipsic where several businesses are located
Procter & Gamble dog food plant
Protec. Steel coating
Poet Ethanol producer
Dillers Scrap steel outbound
Ottawa has Nutrien fertilizer
Inbound fertilizer in 30 car blocks

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/09/19 22:50
Author: ERAD

Lima yard, Luckey Trucking, Trinity Industries and interchange with the CF&E/ I&O.

South Lima yard, Husky refinery and interchange with NS and RJ Corman.

South end Erie Jct, Potash Corporations SIT Yard, General Dynamics Tank plant and Marathon Petroleum.

Wapakoneta(LDL),  AIP and Ametek plastics.

Botkins, TruPoint.

Kirkwood, Wapoo lumber

Piqua, Forest Products, Crayex and Poly Source.

Troy, Deltech Polymers and P&T Branch/ Mennel Milling Elevator.

Tipp City, Precision Strip

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/19 04:20 by ERAD.

Date: 02/10/19 05:44
Author: toledopatch

In Wapakoneta there's a plastics plant (possibly Ametek referenced in previous post) east of I-75 on a spur that is a remnant of an intersecting line (ex-NYC?). It connects to the former B&O at the north end of the Wapak siding.

The industries in Perrysburg are Master Chemical just north of Ohio 25 and a plastics plant just south of I-475.

The northernmost customer on former B&O rails in northwest Ohio is the ADM grain elevator on the Maumee River in Toledo. CSX also operates a bulk-distribution terminal in what's left of Rossford Yard and delivers glass-making sand to LOF Glass in Rossford. The way the tracks are configured, though, this part of the railroad is now a dead-end branch off the main line at Bates and Lime City roads.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/19 05:49 by toledopatch.

Date: 02/10/19 12:50
Author: ironmtn

Here's a photo along the line from July 7, 2018 at 4:22 pm EDT, of a local working southbound. If memory and quick notes are correct, this is along Ohio Highway 65 south of Ottawa, Ohio. Others who know the area well, please feel free to correct the location. Data indicates 3:22 pm as the time, but my camera's time was off by one hour that day.

I don't know if this RC GP38 is regular power for the local or not, but it was doing the job that day, and had its hands full, running in a high notch and pulling a fairly long train. On that day it followed a steel slab unit train south. This was on a trip to photograph the last of the classic C&O signals on the approximately paralleling ex-C&O Pemberville Sub, but with diversions over to the B&O side when radio traffic indicated an operation, in order to also catch some trains with the CPL signals. I considered this train at this location to be one of the best catches of the trip. Enjoy, and hope it may help your modeling of a most interesting and classic piece of railroad.

MC
Muskegon, Michigan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/19 12:50 by ironmtn.

Date: 02/10/19 15:11
Author: toledopatch

ironmtn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's a photo along the line from July 7, 2018 at
> 4:22 pm EDT, of a local working southbound. If
> memory and quick notes are correct, this is along
> Ohio Highway 65 south of Ottawa, Ohio. Others who
> know the area well, please feel free to correct
> the location. Data indicates 3:22 pm as the time,
> but my camera's time was off by one hour that
> day.
>
> I don't know if this RC GP38 is regular power for
> the local or not, but it was doing the job that
> day, and had its hands full, running in a high
> notch and pulling a fairly long train. On that day
> it followed a steel slab unit train south. This
> was on a trip to photograph the last of the
> classic C&O signals on the approximately
> paralleling ex-C&O Pemberville Sub, but with
> diversions over to the B&O side when radio traffic
> indicated an operation, in order to also catch
> some trains with the CPL signals. I considered
> this train at this location to be one of the best
> catches of the trip. Enjoy, and hope it may help
> your modeling of a most interesting and classic
> piece of railroad.
>

Yes, this is the south end of the Ottawa, OH siding. The "Ottawa Loop" of former DT&I trackage also has its south end at this location, on the far side of the main.

Date: 02/10/19 17:45
Author: ironmtn

toledopatch Wrote:

> Yes, this is the south end of the Ottawa, OH
> siding. The "Ottawa Loop" of former DT&I trackage
> also has its south end at this location, on the
> far side of the main.

Thanks for that information. I recall seeing that ex-DT&I trackage on the map, and wondering about it. I had no idea at the time, nor until I read this post, that it had been of DT&I heritage. Great to know that, and will have to read up on it further now that I have some perspective. Interestingly, I had ridden over other ex-DT&I trackage about a month before on an excursion on today's Indiana & Ohio from Washington C.H., Ohio to Urbana, Ohio and return. I thought that acquaintance with ex-DT&I trackage was exceptional enough (it was a fine excursion trip, although hotter than blazes for a Memorial Day weekend). I had no idea that I encountered more ex-DT&I trackage just a few weeks later. Thanks for that perspective.

MC
Muskegon, Michigan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0771 seconds