Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Snowy Sunday in Springfield Ohio

Date: 02/10/19 19:22
Snowy Sunday in Springfield Ohio
Author: tq-07fan

I will spare you all the details but today didn't start out so great. I missed or got throw away pictures several of trains, both due to traffic, stop lights and my own bad judgment. After waiting at Vandalia for another missed train I gave up and started toward Enon on I-70. I heard that someone would wait for 304 which was already out of Columbus on the Norfolk Southern Dayton District. I turned on I-675 and saw the eastbound that was going to wait! I turned around and went on into Springfield Ohio and made it to East Street. I am not sure if the first railway at East Street was the Springfield Jackson and Pomeroy mainline coming up from southern Ohio as the Big 4 originally cut across from Delaware Ohio to Springfield which is now the Mechanicsburg Branch of the Indiana and Ohio. The Big 4 (New York Central) going via Columbus, which is now the Norfolk Southern Dayton District came later. The SJ&P became the Detroit Toledo and Ironton and is now also part of the Indiana and Ohio. The Detroit Toledo and Ironton also located it's locomotive facility on the north side of the New York Central at Burt Street and crossed with a diamond with a tower, not quite sure of the location, so East Street was a different place even forty years ago. I&O still comes up to the NS from their yard in Springfield on the former DT&I at Junction, not sure if there are any rail served industries left on the Burt Street track you see on the left of picture 1 but it was still being served by I&O into the at least the 2000's.
1) NS 304 Westbound at East Street in Springfield Ohio. I&O tracks on either side.
2) 304 was a short train, maybe thirty cars or so. Springfield is a no horn zone on the Norfolk Southern.
3) Clear signal for the Eastbound at CP 182.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/19 18:44 by tq-07fan.

Date: 02/10/19 19:23
Re: Snowy Sunday in Springfield Ohio

I then relocated to CP 182. CP 182 is the wye for the Bellfontaine Branch which the Mechanicsburg Branch splits off of. The tracks did street running through part of downtown Springfield into the 1980's. I remember it but not enough enough to really remember how everything went together.
4-6) My scanner battery died before I got an ID for this train. I liked all three of these so I posted all three.

Thank you for looking!

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/19 07:12 by tq-07fan.

Date: 02/10/19 19:31
Author: refarkas

Good photos. Your night photo (number five) is my favorite.
Bob

Date: 02/10/19 19:46
Author: Ohiorailfan

CP182 not 282

Posted from Android

Date: 02/10/19 23:28
Author: cabsignaldrop

Good photos, Jim!  Looks darn cold.  I owe you a sack of White Castles next time I'm down that way.

Date: 02/11/19 07:29

I remembered it today, the tower mentioned in the first part was called Carney but may have been farther east. No idea how it derived that name? The Interlockings in that three mike section of Springfield on the New York Central were CP 181, CP 182, CP 183 after CTC was installed. During early Conrail they were know as CP Carney, CP East Street, and CP Fountain. Conrail reoriented the tracks a couple times and now everything is CP 182.

refarkas Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------
> Good photos. Your night photo (number five) is my
> favorite.
> Bob

Thank you.

Ohiorailfan Wrote:
> CP182 not 282
>
> Posted from Android

D'oh! Thank you and corrected. I guess I am used to this line more from Dayton to Cincinnati where everything is in the 200's. I proof read everything and forgot to look at the sign in picture 3.

cabsignaldrop Wrote:
> Good photos, Jim!  Looks darn cold.  I owe you a
> sack of White Castles next time I'm down that way.

It was actually only right around freezing. Somewhat difficult to drive in places. If you give me a sack of White Castles I already have an idea of where I will stick them.

Jim

Date: 02/12/19 06:45
Author: ns cp-182

Carney was named after the big 4 Springfield yardmaster having 50 years service. Before that it was called AK tower.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0472 seconds