Home Open Account Help 395 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > What's the story with Knoxville and Sevier Yard lately

Date: 02/17/19 17:51
What's the story with Knoxville and Sevier Yard lately
Author: HogheadMike

When I was a kid I spent lots of time around Sevier yard watching trains go over the hump and hoping to one day I'd be an engineer.  My family lived in Tennessee and whenever I'd visit from California, I'd always try to do some train watching.  I even have pictures on a locomotive that a crew let me ride around the yard back in the early 90s.....I was in elementary school.   They were memories that I will never forget.  A couple years ago I saw on TO that Sevier yard had been idled.  I was very sad to see this news.

These days my family is gone and I haven't been to Tennessee in almost 10 years.....last time I was there was to bury my grandma, effectively ending my connection with the place.

What I would like to know is if anything has changed around Sevier.  Is the hump still closed, or was it just another "great idea" for the railroads to try?  What do operations look like around the area?  Any information would be appreciated.

Date: 02/17/19 19:43
Re: What's the story with Knoxville and Sevier Yard lately
Author: willobi

The hump is still closed and half the retarders have been pulled and taken to Chattanooga. Sevier is a crew change point, nothing else. No mechanical, no diesel shop. Very few trains through here anymore, and very limited switching in Knoxville. All switching is done at the old yard downtown. The old Central Division headqurters building is still there, but I believe the track dept took it over. The yard itself is mostly used for storage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/19 19:43 by willobi.

Date: 02/17/19 20:48
Author: florida581

The following are all the scheduled NS trains that originate, terminate, work, or pass through Knoxville. 

•intermodal
201 Rutherford, PA - Rossville, TN
202 Rossville, TN - Rutherford, PA
22A Norfolk, VA - Louisville, KY
*works Sevier Yard
23G Louisville, KY - Norfolk, VA 

•manifest
123 East Decatur, IL - Linwood, NC
*works Sevier Yard
135 Linwood, NC - Knoxville Sevier Yard, TN 
144 Chattanooga, TN - Elkhart, IN
*works City Yard
162 Sheffield, AL - Bulls Gap, TN
*works Sevier Yard
163 Bulls Gap, TN - Sheffield, AL
*works Sevier Yard
165 Linwood, NC - Chattanooga, TN
*works Sevier Yard and City Yard
15T Allentown, PA - Birmingham, AL
*works Sevier Yard
16T Birmingham, AL - Allentown, PA
*works Sevier Yard
300 Chattanooga, TN - Knoxville, TN City Yard 

•locals
T09 Middlesboro, KY - Knoxville Sevier Yard, TN
T10 Knoxville Sevier Yard, TN - Middlesboro, KY
T12 Clinton, TN Works between Oakdale and Knoxville Sevier Yard
T21 Knoxville, TN City Yard - Maryville, TN turn
T22 Knoxville, TN City Yard - Knoxville, TN Sevier Yard turn
T25 Knoxville, TN City Yard Knoxville switcher
T26 Knoxville, TN City Yard Works between Knoxville Sevier Yard and Linde
T30 Knoxville, TN City Yard Works between Linde and Hodges
T31 Knoxville, TN City Yard Works between Knoxville Sevier Yard and Powell  

•unit trains
There’s usually about 1 grain train to / from Loudon, TN a day.  There’s 2-3 coal trains between Carbo, VA and Ensley, AL a week.  Unit limestone scrubber trains to and from Luttrell, TN run sporadically. 

Andrew

Date: 02/18/19 02:16
Author: PRR_4859

What routing does 144 use to get to Elkhart, IN from Knoxille? Does it involve a runaround move to get to the CNO&TP?

Thank you in advance.

Date: 02/18/19 04:46
Author: Rathole

No runaround move is needed.  It runs the same way grain trains out of Loudon go to Oakdale off the A line, using the connector in downtown Knoxville to get to the K&O line at Coster then on to Harriman/CNOTP.  It's a direct route.

==========================================================================================================

PRR_4859 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What routing does 144 use to get to Elkhart, IN
> from Knoxille? Does it involve a runaround move
> to get to the CNO&TP?
>
> Thank you in advance.

Date: 02/18/19 05:16
Author: florida581

PRR_4859 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What routing does 144 use to get to Elkhart, IN
> from Knoxille? Does it involve a runaround move
> to get to the CNO&TP?

144 runs from Chattanooga to Knoxville on the West End District which traverses through Cleveland, Charleston / Calhoun, Sweetwater, Loudon, and then into Knoxville.  144 then works City Yard in downtown Knoxville.  City Yard is also where the Coster Line diverges north from the West End District.  After working City Yard, 144 runs the ~2 mile Coster Line until it joins with the Oakdale Line at CP Coster.  From there, it runs the Oakdale Line all the way to Harriman Junction where it joins the CNO&TP South District.

Andrew

Edit:  What Rathole said.  😁

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/19 05:18 by florida581.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0588 seconds