Home Open Account Help 393 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > A Long Over Due Visit Nets 2 Former UP SD90MAC's

Date: 03/04/19 03:33
A Long Over Due Visit Nets 2 Former UP SD90MAC's
Author: NSSpike

Saturday morning after completing a few chores it was time to head north to an area I hadn't been to in years. The gap between Braswell Mountain MP109H to just south of Dallas Georgia at MP121H. Knowing that NS has an aggressive right of way tree and brush clearing project in progress word among-st the locals indicated plenty of new areas have opened up for photo opportunities. Over the past several weeks I have run up on a few myself. Just weren't any trains around plus with all the rain we have had many shoulders are just to soft to risk getting stuck!!!I started out just north west of Dallas Georgia and worked my way southward. 

On The NS Georgia Atlanta North End District 
#1 South of CP Rogers crossovers NS 177 ( ELKHART, IN – MACON, GA) with three Uncle Pete units leading the way running south bound on the #2 main. Would be the first of two elephant style power arrangement for the day. 

#2 NS #8010 ES44AC heads back north on the #1 main at MP112.0H as NS G57 (BERWIN – ROCKMART Pusher) and will tie down on the Rockmart Depot house track until called into service to assist another south bound on the climb up Braswell Mountain. 

#3 At the same location NS 295 (CHICAGO, IL (LANDERS) - JAX, FL (FEC) rounds the curve just north of McPherson Church Road MP112.0H 

...more to follow...

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 03/04/19 03:35
Re: A Long Over Due Visit Nets 2 Former UP SD90MAC's

#4 Another, (one of many) new photo location has opened up as a result of NS cutting back trees and brush on about a 20 mile stretch from Rockmart southward. Here NS 64H (CHICAGO, IL – WESTOVER, GA) is seen south bound at MP 120.9H Dallas Georgia. 

#5 NS #7553, #9453 & #8347 @12K + HP lead 64H with buffer car, 75 cans & buffer car south bound. 

#6 NS 26Q (MEMPHIS, TN – GARDEN CITY, GA) south bound at MP 120.9H Dallas Georgia. 

...more to follow....

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 03/04/19 03:37

#7 NS 26Q with the #7262 EMD/NS SD70ACU (Former UP #3509 SD90MAC) leading this colorful stack. A visit to NSDash9.com is well worth the visit to review the scope of work done on these former SD90MAC units most of which were original UP units. http://www.nsdash9.com/rosters/7229.html 

#8 Another rebuilt SD90MAC #7268 leads NS 322 (MACON, GA – CHATTANOOGA, TN) at 11K tons and 130 cars north bound at MP 121.0H A four unit elephant power consist. This north bound manifest tends to always be a heavy haul on the Atlanta North End!!! 

#9. Working their way north NS 322 tackles the curves on this section of the North Atlanta main line. 

...more to follow....

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 03/04/19 03:39

On The NS Alabama East End District
#10 On the way home last catch of the day NS 733 (GP JULIETTE, GEORGIA - PRB WYOMING) CP Taylor on the NS Alabama East End District. 

#11 BNSF units #5920 and #9786 in DPU on this RWSX empty west bound move. 

Thanks for taking a look and always be safe while track side!!!

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 03/04/19 04:32
Author: WM_1109

Phil, I don't know how long you had to wait after placing your order for the clearing work at mp 120.9, but, based on #4, #5, #6 and #7, it was worth it!
-Ted

Date: 03/04/19 06:01
Author: jmbreitigan

Talk about some opened up areas due to the agressive tree cutting. Some nice angles indeed.
John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/19 16:16 by jmbreitigan.

Date: 03/04/19 09:26
Author: Forever-Railfan-45

Numbers four, ten and eleven do it for me. ;)

Posted from Android

Date: 03/04/19 13:58
Author: goneon66

outstanding images.  i really enjoy your efforts to bring us these shots from your area.  thanks.........

Date: 03/04/19 16:28
Author: bnsftall

Great stuff!

dt

Date: 03/05/19 04:16
Author: richs

Just when one thinks you can't post better images and narratives...you do!  Exceptional effort.
Rich S

Date: 03/05/19 05:11

richs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just when one thinks you can't post better images
> and narratives...you do!  Exceptional effort.
> Rich S

Thank you sir!!   And Thanks to all that responded to this and other posts I have entered in the past!!
Much of what I have learned about both over the years has been directly from the many members posts on this site
and the PM's exchanged over the years!!
Of late I have made it a point to review two other discussion boards, Nostalgia & History and Railroaders' Nostalgia.
Plenty of interesting information there to expands ones knowledge on the subject of Railroading!!
Thanks again Rich!!
NSSpike

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 03/05/19 16:48
Author: Thoroughbred-Ed

Like those NS pictures.
Thanks for Sharing !

Ed ( Eddie ) Durnwald
Fostoria, Ohio  

Date: 03/05/19 19:17
Author: SCKP187

Nice shots.  I sure do enjoy seeing the SD90/43 carbodies and hope UP rebuilds them like the NS does.
Brian Stevens

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0563 seconds