Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Lancaster, PA Feb 23-24th

Date: 03/05/19 19:21
Lancaster, PA Feb 23-24th
Author: OCtrainguy

Over the weekend of February 23rd-24th, I was in the New Holland, PA area.  This wasn't a railfan trip, but I had some time to poke around Lancaster on both days.  Actually, on the night a Feb. 22nd, I caught a local on the New Holland branch between 10:30 and 11:00 pm.  The cell phone video came out very dark, but hey, I saw a train there. 

On Saturday morning, a much needed run to Beiler'd Doughnuts was made.  After getting some doughnuts to bring home, a drive by the NS yard in Lancaster was in order.  From the overpass, I didn't see any engines, so I kept going.  After a quick stop at Sheetz and to get our bearings for our next location, my wife noticed something moving near the tracks.  (She has been my good luck charm for many years with railfanning.)  Turns out there was a yard local moving cars around.  This was about 12:30 in the afternoon.  These three photos are of that yard job, with a GP40-2 slug set, a high hood GP38-2 and a regular GP38-2.

I got no objection from my wife when I hinted at returning on Sunday morning.  Those photos will follow. 

Date: 03/05/19 19:27
Re: Lancaster, PA Feb 23-24th
Author: OCtrainguy

After checking out of the hotel Sunday morning, it was back to Lancaster to see what was in the yard.  An accident on Route 23 closing the road and necessitating a detour got us into Lancaster as what I am guessing was the Lancaster to Enola transfer job had moved toward the western end of the yard.  It was two six-axle engines.  Here are some photos of the engines parked by the yard office.  The weather wasn't the best, but it could've been worse considering the time of year.  Will cross my fingers for more success on catching one of the locals the next time I am in the area.  

Date: 03/06/19 06:51
Author: NS4271

Glad you got those photos.  Very good.

Date: 03/06/19 11:32
Author: seattleace

Very nice.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0406 seconds