Home Open Account Help 294 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Nesquehoning Jct as seen from the RBMN's2534 cab

Date: 03/11/19 13:48
Nesquehoning Jct as seen from the RBMN's2534 cab
Author: Pattenburg

On Saturday was up in Glen Onoko to try for that photo that has eluded me of a Lehigh Gorge Scenic Rwy train passing over the Lehigh River from inside the gorge. Arriving in time for the eleven o’clock excursion I searched for a suitable photo location. It took a little searching but was finally able to find a safe spot amongst the rocks and briars with no protruding branches. As I waited for the excursion NS 36T headed south towards Allentown. From my elevated perch it was neat checking out the tops of the freight cars as they passed by my vantage point. About 11:15 the first excursion of the day came through with RBMN 2534 leading its consist of coaches, baggage car and a caboose. I was able to get the photo I wanted and headed back to Jim Thorpe to wait for my wife who rode that excursion. While waiting I thought today would be a good day to take that long awaited cab ride I hoped to do provided she wanted to do this and no one else had reservations to ride in the cab. It was my good fortune that she wanted to ride and two tickets were available! It was definitely a great day to cross this item off of my bucket list. Attached are some of the images from that ride. The first scene shows the former CNJ Nesquehoning Jct Tower, which closed in 1971, as seen from the conductor’s seat. Approaching the Lehigh River one can check out the progress of the new bridge being built there. No definite date as to when it is scheduled to be completed. All in all an enjoyable day to take this trip!

Date: 03/11/19 14:35
Re: Nesquehoning Jct as seen from the RBMN's2534 cab
Author: boejoe

Great photos.  Have never seen a shot of the tower before.

Date: 03/12/19 05:48
Author: Gonut1

Different angles for sure. Not much left of the tower.
Thanks for sharing.
Gonut

Date: 03/12/19 09:10
Author: KimHeusel

Here is a link to a shot of the tower in better days.

http://northamericaninterlockings.com/images/pq2PAmadden.jpg?608

The area looks quite different now.

Kim Heusel

Date: 03/13/19 11:12
Author: mbrotzman

Why is a bridge being built there?

Date: 03/13/19 11:33
Author: Pattenburg

mbrotzman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why is a bridge being built there?

Here is the original thread that explains why the bridge is being built.

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,4619459,4619459#msg-4619459

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.043 seconds