Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Grafton & Upton action from yesterday

Date: 03/12/19 11:28
Grafton & Upton action from yesterday
Author: pennsy3750

Cabin fever was setting in pretty badly yesterday, and with the sun shining, I thought it was time to get out for a while before work.  After dropping off my son at school, I made the short drive to Grafton to wait out the Grafton & Upton's GU-1 crew.

1 - The chase started at Grafton Center, but the snow was still piled up high enough there that the shots were not worth sharing.  Continuing a little farther along, we see GU-1 passing the G&U's signature photo spot at Old Upton Road.  Hastily-relettered MP15 #1158 and stalwart leaser #326 do the honors today.  An engine house is being built at North Grafton; rumors continue to swirl that when its finished later this year, the paint gun will make an appearance.

2 - Last shot of the short chase, as GU-1 comes down the grade and approaches Hartford Avenue, just outside the West Upton yard.

3 - Since I can upload three images, here's a bonus, from another short before-work chase last fall.  Pan Am's Sunday-only unit slurry train BFPO makes its way through Shirley, Mass.  A perfect storm came together here - the kids slept over their grandparents' house the night before, my wife was busy elsewhere, the sun was shining, and one of the few remaining SD40 variants (rather than a grungy, patched-over GE) was on the point.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/19 11:29 by pennsy3750.

Date: 03/12/19 14:56
Re: Grafton & Upton action from yesterday
Author: refarkas

Three excellent photos. Great catches.
Bob

Date: 03/12/19 15:15
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!  My favorite is the last one.

Date: 03/12/19 16:29
Author: Ritzville

ns1000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice pics!!  My favorite is the last one.

I second that!

Larry

Date: 03/12/19 18:29
Author: ShortlinesUSA

Great series, Paolo!

Date: 03/13/19 03:07
Author: JPB

Excellent photos! Looks,like the G&U used a flanger to clear snow off the track?

Also, did you happen to get down to Hopedale/Milford to what, if any, construction progress has been made to connect to the MBTA Milford branch?

Date: 03/13/19 19:45
Author: pennsy3750

JPB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also, did you happen to get down to
> Hopedale/Milford to what, if any, construction
> progress has been made to connect to the MBTA
> Milford branch?

I did not, but the last time I was over there (2-3 weeks ago) the switch was still disconnected, and there was evidence of lots of recent earthmoving.  There was also work being done on the low bridge in Hopedale, though I didn't take a close look to see what it might have entailed.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0556 seconds