Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > GA: Savannah port expansion is a GO with fed dollars

Date: 03/12/19 17:32
GA: Savannah port expansion is a GO with fed dollars
Author: Lackawanna484

President Trump's budget contains an earmark for completion of the dredging of Savannah River port district. That will enable the port to accommodate the largest draft container ships.  Unlike most of the proposed budget, projects conducted by the Corps of Engineers require approval by the President.  This is a huge plus for NS, and a plus for CSX, both of whom have access to the Georgia Port.

Atlanta Journal - Constitution:

Georgia's senators made a deal to trade crucial votes for an Office of Management & Budget nominee for the port dredge approvalU.S. Sen. Johnny Isakson attributed the good Savannah news to a “deal” he cut with Mulvaney last year. That’s when the White House was seeking Senate confirmation for Mulvaney deputy Russell Vought, a conservative firebrand whose nomination was nearly sidelined because of past comments he made about Muslims. Isakson and fellow Georgia U.S. Sen. David Perdue ultimately backed Vought, who was confirmed after Pence cast the tie-breaking vote.
Link to AJC

Date: 03/12/19 21:20
Re: GA: Savannah port expansion is a GO with fed dollars
Author: ts1457

Talking about CSX, I wonder how its new inland port at Chatsworth in NW Georgia is doing?

Here is its website:

https://appalachianregionalport.com/

Service between Savannah and Chatsworth is every other day with third day availability. I am curious what route and trains that CSX uses in providing the service?

Anyhow, the Savannah port improvements should help.

Date: 03/13/19 10:57
Author: SCL1517

During a recent curfew on the AB&C, Q541/542 were seen handling contrainers to Chatsworth over the Georgia Subdivision. They've gone back to the Fitz now, so I'd guess that's still the way Chatsworth is served, except now the boxes have an extra move down to Waycross to get on the northbound train. Seemed pretty sensible to route 541/542 via Augusta; they just picked up/dropped off at Savannah.

All that said, the Georgia's last through trains. Q197/198 that originate/terminate at Hulsey in Atlanta, are said to be moving to Fairburn in less than 90 days. After that, it's pretty much Erie Lackawanna time for the Georgia Subdivision, it'd seem.

Date: 03/13/19 11:28
Author: ts1457

SCL1517 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> During a recent curfew on the AB&C, Q541/542 were
> seen handling contrainers to Chatsworth over the
> Georgia Subdivision. They've gone back to the Fitz
> now, so I'd guess that's still the way Chatsworth
> is served, except now the boxes have an extra move
> down to Waycross to get on the northbound train.
> Seemed pretty sensible to route 541/542 via
> Augusta; they just picked up/dropped off at
> Savannah.
>
> All that said, the Georgia's last through trains.
> Q197/198 that originate/terminate at Hulsey in
> Atlanta, are said to be moving to Fairburn in less
> than 90 days. After that, it's pretty much Erie
> Lackawanna time for the Georgia Subdivision, it'd
> seem.

Appreciate the information. 

Just curious, what is the other end point of Q197/Q198?

Date: 03/14/19 03:42
Author: flarails882

It will be more than deep dredging for this port. Both CSX & NS intermodal yards will be combined together to form one massive intermodal facility.  Not to mention those inland porst

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkzNWsmsZks&t=3s

Date: 03/14/19 07:11

Q197/198 are Savnnah-Atlanta/Atlanta-Savannah trains.

Date: 03/14/19 10:59
Author: PRR_4859

Is the move of Q197 and Q198 from Hulsey to Fairburn in preparation to sell Hulsey?

Thank you in advance.

Date: 03/14/19 15:51

I would imagine that to be the case, but I don't know any facts.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0542 seconds