Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > PSR on NS

Date: 04/12/19 12:23
PSR on NS
Author: Lackawanna484

I passed both Enola and Allentown yards in the past week. I was amazed that Enola was pretty close to empty, and Allentown was perhaps half full.

Lots of open track, plenty of room to build trains. AT's hump wasn't in use.

Lots of crisp, disciplined radio. Fuel levels on incoming, confirming length and track assignments, etc.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/12/19 13:18
Re: PSR on NS
Author: icancmp193

Not that I think PSR is a great idea, but my NS stock has more than doubled in a couple years.
But that's what they wanted, wasn't it?

TJY

Date: 04/12/19 13:37
Author: PRR1361

Or are they turning away "marginal" i.e. boxcar business?  Rutherford and Harrisiburg yards are a better barometer of business levels right now. Hopefully they are full and the MiJacks and Sidewinders are moving at a fast pace.

Date: 04/12/19 15:25
Author: lapklub

Todays 123 departing Asheville NC had 9 loaded wood chip cars that they brought in from probably Knoxville TN.  The outbound crew questioned the DS about the cars. 
(They were supposed to be dropped in Asheville)  The cars were for Blue Ridge Southern to take to the paper mill in Canton NC. 123 was ready to go so they told them to just take them with them and Linwood could sort them out and send them back.
Now that is PSR at it's finest. Get the cars out of the yard.  It doesn't matter if they go to where they were supposed to go or not.

Mike

Date: 04/13/19 07:10
Author: JPB

OTOH, I'm listening to NS radio for Binghamton NY yard and road operations and the 309 train (Binghamton to Elkhart) was ready to depart about 10 minutes ago but YM said crew must wait 20 minutes for departure time. As far as I can tell, there's no conflicting moves that would impact train's departure. Update: 309 departed after standing-by for 20 minutes and is passing through the CP-BD interlocking as of 1025. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/19 07:28 by JPB.

Date: 04/13/19 09:33
Author: NYSWSD70M

PRR1361 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Or are they turning away "marginal" i.e. boxcar
> business?  Rutherford and Harrisiburg yards are a
> better barometer of business levels right now.
> Hopefully they are full and the MiJacks and
> Sidewinders are moving at a fast pace.
>  
It's the intermodal that is marginal. It's only profitable when you have huge volumes moving between common points.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/13/19 18:40
Author: Lackawanna484

I didn't get a chance to look at Harrisburg and Rutherford yards.

Can any local folks see how full these two yards are?

Posted from Android

Date: 04/13/19 18:44
Author: glendale

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> I didn't get a chance to look at Harrisburg and
> Rutherford yards.
>
> Can any local folks see how full these two yards
> are?
>
> Posted from Android

A very small snap shot in time is not a good indicator of business levels

Date: 04/23/19 19:53
Author: LongAntenna

icancmp193 Wrote:
> Not that I think PSR is a great idea, but my NS
> stock has more than doubled in a couple years.

It won't last forever.  Selling off and making drastic cuts are great for short term gains (what you are seeing) but are not sustainable long term.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.056 seconds