Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > IU Tower on borrowed time

Date: 05/06/19 07:32
IU Tower on borrowed time
Author: IU_Tower

The tower I took my name from is now on borrowed time in downtown Indianapolis. IU was built by the Indianapolis Union Railway in 1930 and is one of the last standing towers on the Big Four (the other is in Union City, IN). CSX replaced all the old pneumatic switches that the tower provided air for in 2018. Demolition contractors have already started asbestos remediation to prepare for razing. Pics can be found here....

http://indianarailroads.org/board/index.php?topic=21181.0

Date: 05/06/19 09:34
Re: IU Tower on borrowed time
Author: cabsignaldrop

Darn shame. Railroading has become so sterile and homogenized there is almost nothing left of interest other than the trains themselves. I can't imagine downtown Indianapolis without I.U. tower. It has been a railroad landmark since I was a kid and two generations before that. Thanks for the information.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/08/19 07:53
Author: mbrotzman

One would think the most cost effective solution would be to just lock the door do nothing.

Date: 07/19/19 20:14
Author: ohiorailfanner02

There are at least 3 other towers beside the one in Union City standing along the Big 4, BS Tower in Bellefontaine, AC Tower in Marion and then a tower that I can't remember. Of note, IU has been completely demolished today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/19 20:37 by ohiorailfanner02.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.025 seconds