Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Dog at Hamlet, NC Station 5/11

Date: 05/12/19 03:46
Dog at Hamlet, NC Station 5/11
Author: alto_towerbob

After almost six years of living in Myrtle Beach, SC, I finally made it up to Hamlet, NC yesterday for a day of railfanning.  Saw 8 trains in about 6 hours between 11:30 am and 5:30pm, which I understand from reading the internet is about what one can expect in terms of train volume.  It was certsinly 8 more trains than what I would have seen staying diwnin Myrtle Beach!!  Was a nice, warm day and a very pleasant area to railfan.  Lots of stored CSX power out behind the Trinity facility near the Hamlet classification yard...

Was sad to see a very pretty collarless dog (female I think) running around the station area all day and in the wye.  Looked like a mix (slight brindle coloration).  She was too skittish to allow anyone to approach her -- looked well-fed, but clearly was on her own.  Oher folks noticed as well and tossed her some food scraps.  I'm a dog lover and just want to make any locals who might read this aware...

Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/19 03:46 by alto_towerbob.

Date: 05/12/19 03:57
Re: Dog at Hamlet, NC Station 5/11
Author: WLE2679

Glad the dog is being fed my people even if running around on its own.  

I have never been to Hamlet, but my friend said that PSR hammered the area pretty good, although seems to me that a few trains have returned to the yard recently.   Your count was a good day.  He said 10 a day was the daily norm at the lowest point.     I remember it being a tranins hot spot in the late 90s, but not sure how many trains went through there at the time to compare.   Is the Seaboard SD35? still there on display? 

Date: 05/12/19 07:50
Author: mully

It’s sad to see how people treat animals just like an object to throw out instead of a living creature. Ours is like a child we just brought her home after surgery and 10k spent but she is worth that and more.

Gary

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/12/19 12:58
Author: ctillnc

Only 6400 people in Hamlet, so there aren't a lot of locals who subscribe to TO.

Yes, the ex-SAL SDP35 (it was a passenger unit) is still there. Was repainted in 2013.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0511 seconds