Home Open Account Help 165 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > DL and NS around Scranton - Saturday 5/11

Date: 05/12/19 19:33
DL and NS around Scranton - Saturday 5/11
Author: sscannella

Made my first trip to Northeastern PA since late March yesterday (5/11), and got out trackside for part of the day to catch some Delaware - Lackawanna and Norfolk Southern action.  Started off with southbound NS 11Z from the Davis St. bridge just below Taylor Yard.

Next I checked out the DL at Bridge 60, where a trio of their 6-axle units - recently activated 3007, 3543, and 3000 were running outside the tower.  The PO74 crew set off the 3000 and tied on to 2 tanker cars, which they dragged up to Ridge where they added on 5 lumber loads for Cresco.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/19 19:49 by sscannella.

Date: 05/12/19 19:37
Re: DL and NS around Scranton - Saturday 5/11

I next headed up to Myrtle St just east of the Nay Aug tunnel, where after a short wait 6600 HP of Alcos made easy work of starting 7 loads up the Pocono grade.

I had to bail out for a bit, but I rejoined them at Tobyhanna, where they set-off the two tank cars and tied onto 14 loaded grain cars for the Ardent Mills grain facility in Mt. Pocono.

Arriving at Pocono Summit, the train sat for a bit just west of the old Pocono Summit station, before cutting off the 5 lumber cars and pulling the 14 grain loads toward the mill.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/19 19:40 by sscannella.

Date: 05/12/19 19:40

After switching around the mill for an hour and a half or so, the power went back west to tie onto the lumber loads and finally headed east to cork the lumber facility at Cresco.   I bailed again at this point as I had a previous commitment in Scranton for the afternoon.

Date: 05/12/19 19:49

A quick recon mission to Taylor Yard later in the afternoon found the NS local K79 power and train tied down outside the yard office.

Early evening, as my wife, the pooch, and I were leaving to return back home in Harrisburg, I heard on teh scanner the K82 Taylor to binghamton turn departing.  The same power from K79 would be used for this job, and in addition to the 20 or so empties it picked up during the day, the K82 crew also grabbed the day's intermodal cars loaded in Taylor.  I was able to get a quick shot from near MP 669.5 in the Sunbury Sub adjacent to the North Scranton Expressway.   Cloudy skies ushering PA's next round of rain had already rolled in by the time this photo was taken around 7:30 PM.

I'll finish this series up with a video of the DL PO74 pulling upgrade at Myrtle St. from earlier in the morning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/19 05:04 by sscannella.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/12/19 20:35
Author: perklocal

Any day you can chase Alco/MLWs is a good day. Nice video ! Even with that short train those units make sweet music to my ears.

Date: 05/13/19 04:29
Author: ns1000

Great stuff..!!  Thanks for posting.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0485 seconds