Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Perryville Track Work

Date: 05/13/19 07:00
Perryville Track Work
Author: MdRailfan

Does anyone know if the trackwork north of Perryville, Md is complete yet? I was told that Amtrak was rebuilding the wye with NS and all northbound NS trains were going thru Reading.  Just wondering because now the weather is breaking I hope to get out and catch some freight action soon.  On the other hand,is there a possibility that the reroutes thru Reading could be permanent?

Date: 05/13/19 09:53
Re: Perryville Track Work
Author: Lackawanna484

Perryville is a key link in keeping the Delaware City PBF refinery in business.  NS trains use the north link of the wye to access the NEC.

While NS could (and has) used access via Philadelphia and Wilmngton, I doubt Amtrak would choose to give up the very lucrative rents it receives for that short hop

Date: 05/13/19 10:41
Author: Gonut1

I believe the crude oil reroutes through Reading only lasted a few days. Nothing since.
Gonut

Date: 05/13/19 13:20
Author: Tominde

Actually Amtrak Philly to Wilmington is about the same Amtrak mileage as Perryville to Newark, DE both about 22+/- miles. 

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Perryville is a key link in keeping the Delaware
> City PBF refinery in business.  NS trains use the
> north link of the wye to access the NEC.
>
> While NS could (and has) used access via
> Philadelphia and Wilmngton, I doubt Amtrak would
> choose to give up the very lucrative rents it
> receives for that short hop

Date: 05/13/19 18:18

I thank you for the help and only asked because I had been there twice since the 1st of April and while there had seen the work going on and did not see any NS trains, I was not there very long and may nothing had arrived to or from Delaware.  Now if we can just do something about the rainy and dreary weather.

Date: 05/13/19 18:44
Author: PRR_4859

I do not think the reroutes via Reading would be permanent since the loaded oil trains would have to go through Philadelphia and Wilmington. They also have to contend with Septa commuter trains. Via the Port Road, there is no commuter train interference if the trains go straight to the refineries via Davis and avoid major population centers.

Date: 05/13/19 18:52

PRR_4859 Wrote:
> I do not think the reroutes via Reading would be
> permanent since the loaded oil trains would have
> to go through Philadelphia and Wilmington. They
> also have to contend with Septa commuter trains.
> Via the Port Road, there is no commuter train
> interference if the trains go straight to the
> refineries via Davis and avoid major population
> centers
Never thought of that Good point!

Date: 05/16/19 09:02
Author: toledopatch

There are a lot of days when no freight moves through Perryville in daylight. The longer days of summer make it more likely that a morning straggler or two will show up -- especially 24M -- but you can definitely sit for many hours at Perryville and not see a freight train.

Date: 05/16/19 16:31
Author: Lackawanna484

toledopatch Wrote:
> There are a lot of days when no freight moves
> through Perryville in daylight. The longer days of
> summer make it more likely that a morning
> straggler or two will show up -- especially 24M --
> but you can definitely sit for many hours at
> Perryville and not see a freight train.
>  
Yes.

Back in the days when Del City had often three oil trains on the property, there was more daylight activity.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0355 seconds