Home Open Account Help 255 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Last Days of Position Light Signals on the West Slope

Date: 05/13/19 08:32
Last Days of Position Light Signals on the West Slope
Author: cr2581

As Norfolk Southern implements PTC across the former PRR main line through central and western Pennsylvania, an icon of 20th century railroading continues to disappear. Who ever though we'd see the day where the ubiquitous PRR position light signal would vanish in this part of the world ?  It's happening as I type this so get your final pictures now. To the best of my knowledge, none remain between Harrisburg and Altoona, but they still stand on the west slope - and not for much longer.  Attached are a few pix I took on Saturday. In order, the first image is eastbound 20R at Portage, the second is Amtrak 42 at Summerhill, the third is 35A at Gallitzin and the last is 65E at Portage.

Enjoy !

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/19 08:57 by cr2581.

Date: 05/13/19 08:33
Re: Last Days of Position Light Signals on the Middle Division
Author: cr2581

Empty ethanol train 65E at Portage, PA

Date: 05/13/19 14:14
Author: ns1000

Very nice..!!

Date: 05/13/19 14:18
Author: Model_L

Beautiful work Gary!  Thanks for sharing, and the reminder.  

I was in the area on Saturday for my daughter's graduation from Indiana University of Pennsylvania. My only opportunity was to head trackside late at night after the big family celebration dinner (at least we had it in the restored train station, now restaurant, in Indiana). By 10pm the nice weather had turned to rain.  But given I live 250 miles away, this is likely my last time seeing the signals out there. It was pouring rain so I made do, and thanks to my son holding an umbrella over me and the camera/tripod, I was able to get these two images that I am happy to have (reduced size here).

Summerhill, 263 signals, looking east.  11:20 pm Saturday 5/11/2019

Lilly, 254 signals, looking west as the headlight of the passing empty grain train (sounded like 41G on the scanner) lights up the signal bridge. 12:10 am Sunday 5/12/2019

For those who have been putting it off, you need to get out there now.  Based on the progress of the work across central PA, I would think the signal-rich section between MO and SO would be cutover in early/mid June.  I have NO official information, just from observing the past work. I know there are TO members who are more local that perhaps can refine this date.  But the message is clear:  Go now.  Do not delay.

Rich

Date: 05/13/19 16:05
Author: Tominde

Very nice.  I always thought that they lost something when they switched to color position lights.   Progress.

Date: 05/13/19 16:50
Author: reel_smooth

Next scheduled work, as I understand it, will be this Sunday, doing MG to AR/UN, which effectively finishes up the east slope. 

Date: 05/13/19 16:52
Author: DJ-12

Nice job guys.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/14/19 12:51
Author: TamaquaTim

All of these shots are great. I am trying to find out when the Summer Hill signal bridge will be removed?
Its one of my favorite spots on the West Slope so I am trying to get the number board off of one of the signals.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Tim McRea

Date: 05/14/19 18:27
Author: JUTower

Having a similar urge as Gary, I did a couple of Drone shots at 245 and 244 last week.  First one is 6T4 with a pair of EMD's at 245, second is a 35A west in the afternoon.  Both are last Wednesday.

Date: 05/15/19 00:30
Author: aussiehinz

The Summerhill signal bridge through the bug splattered windshield of Bennett Levin's PRR E-8 #5711.  Westbound Lexington Group 'PX' on 6-19-11.

Date: 05/15/19 14:10
Re: Last Days of Position Light Signals on the West Slope
Author: CPRR

This lights are so cool. To bad they are going away, just like the searchlight signals out west, disappearing.

We have a miniature version at Los Angeles Live Steamers.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/15/19 14:20
Re: Last Days of Position Light Signals on the West Slope
Author: kecarden

I notice at Rt 53 over looking the bridge outside of Cresson Pa, they are only using 3 tracks out of the 5, when back in Conrail days all 5 tracks was use. Are they on planning on taking them out of service for good?:

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0428 seconds