Home Open Account Help 387 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > WNYP Railfanning Questions

Date: 05/14/19 11:31
WNYP Railfanning Questions
Author: andrewcastle

Hi folks.

A group of us are heading to NY and PA for a railfanning trip the first week of June. We were planning to spend a day chasing trains on the WNYP, with rumours of the big Alcos soon being retired we will definitely be making a visit.

I am wondering if the Driftwood Turn is still the best job to catch the big Alcos? Is there currently a schedule or operating pattern for the Driftwood Turn?

Also do any of you folks have suggestions for the best way to spend a day on the WNYP? The tentative plan was to overnight in Olean and set up near the shops first thing in the morning with an ample supply of caffeine. It will be on a weekday but which day of the week is flexible.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Andrew C

Date: 05/14/19 12:24
Re: WNYP Railfanning Questions
Author: Ohiorailfan

The Driftwood supposedly is now running as needed. There is a Fairfield in off of constitutional Avenue right near the shops. My game plan is to get to the shops around 7am and wait. Last Friday when I was there, there was no movement till about 830am. Good luck!

Posted from Android

Date: 05/15/19 06:18
Author: tsokolan

The turn to Salamanca can have the big MLW's as power, last time I visted the place was railfan friendly, stop at the admin building on a weekday morning and sign a waiver, the employees should be able to give you a rough idea of what may be running. One day isn't mush time to spend on the railroad, if you can plan more time theres plenty of other railroads to shoot in the area. Good luck!

-Trevor

Date: 05/15/19 07:20
Author: RayH

tsokolan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The turn to Salamanca can have the big MLW's as
> power, last time I visted the place was railfan
> friendly, stop at the admin building on a weekday
> morning and sign a waiver, the employees should be
> able to give you a rough idea of what may be
> running.
One day isn't mush time to spend on the
> railroad, if you can plan more time theres plenty
> of other railroads to shoot in the area. Good
> luck!
>
> -Trevor

That was true when I was there in early 2016. Last summer when I contacted the GM,  in advance of my trip, she politely responded saying that they no longer provides releases or information, and to stay off the property. I skipped stopping in Olean as I had limited time to railfan it, without operating information. Your mileage may vary.

Date: 05/15/19 12:11
Author: tsokolan

RayH Wrote:

>
> That was true when I was there in early 2016. Last
> summer when I contacted the GM,  in advance of my
> trip, she politely responded saying that they no
> longer provides releases or information, and
> to stay off the property. I skipped stopping in
> Olean as I had limited time to railfan it, without
> operating information. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks Ray, I had heard rumours of the rr ending the waivers for fans, too bad it tunred out to be true. My last visit was in late 2016 and they were very accomidating.

-Trevor

Date: 05/15/19 12:59
Author: Lackawanna484

Waivers and "exculpatory agreements" have been on thin ice for a long time. There are so many ways the process can be abused, and a railfan or other visitor can collect big bucks.

The general idea is a visitor signs a waiver and agrees to accept the risk of wandering around an industrial work site.  The company understands it is dangerous, people have to wear hard hats, etc. But, if a railfan trips over a bucket left in the wrong place, or slips on a rail, etc. it's game over in many states.  It's just a whole lot easier to avoid the risk, and require authorized visitors to be accompanied, and contractors to go through a safety briefing.

A multi-state personal injury firm explains that "overly broad" waivers and the opposite "too specific" waivers have both been tossed by courts in various places.

https://www.mwl-law.com/the-blame-game-understanding-exculpatory-agreements-and-liability-waivers/

Date: 05/15/19 18:10
Author: andrewcastle

Thanks for the replies guys.

Indeed the railroad no longer allows railfans on their property and no longer provides operating information. One of the guys in our group called them, they were very nice and friendly on the phone but declined to provide any info. They did advise we could hang out on public property by the shops or by the guardrail as long as we want.

Looks like we will pick a morning to show up by the yard and see what happens!

Andrew C

Date: 05/16/19 10:19
Author: MILW86A

Thats too bad to hear. I was out there in 2016 and spent a morning. Signed a waiver and got plenty of pics. Glad I went when I did.

MILW86A

Date: 05/24/19 17:12
Author: DundasMP23

Don't sleep in.  On Wednesday they ran a turn to Emporium and the power was off the shop tracks before 8:30 am and they were heading south on the Buffalo Line before 9:00 am.  

Rob Smith
Hamilton, ON

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0626 seconds