Home Open Account Help 283 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Close, but not close enough at Lancaster, PA

Date: 05/15/19 17:47
Close, but not close enough at Lancaster, PA
Author: OCtrainguy

Last Thursday, I was waiting for my eastbound Keystone train at the Lancaster, PA station.  I saw a headlight west of me, but it seemed too early for my train.  I quick walk down to the end of the platform confirmed I was seeing a headlight from a NS engine.  This is what I am guessing is either a yard job or a local building a train in the yard.  This was around 12:30 pm.  Shortly after I snapped these two photos, the engines shoved back and didn't see them as my Amtrak train arrived.  

Date: 05/15/19 18:31
Re: Close, but not close enough at Lancaster, PA
Author: Roadbed

Interesting photos. I wonder what the story is on the turnout on the left of the photo. Either their was an obstacle that has since been removed or the turnout was not put in the right place, as the geometry off the frog is unnecessarily rough. Understand that telephoto exaggerates this, but curious if anyone has any info.

Date: 05/16/19 07:26
Author: EMDSW-1

Roadbed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting photos. I wonder what the story is on
> the turnout on the left of the photo. Either
> their was an obstacle that has since been removed
> or the turnout was not put in the right place, as
> the geometry off the frog is unnecessarily rough.
> Understand that telephoto exaggerates this, but
> curious if anyone has any info.

Roadmaster to section crew: "Use that number 5 1/2 frog that's been laying around for years when you cut in that turnout...nobody will notice"!

Dick Samuels

Date: 05/16/19 07:33
Author: Gonut1

That's all telephoto exageration. Look at the track on Google maps and it is barely perceivable.
That track is the far eastern end of one of the NS yard leads. The other lead ends at a switch onto Amtrak about where the NS loco is in the pictures. The entire Cork Interlocking was reconfigured a couple years ago and I'm certain that "wiggle" is where new meets old.
Go

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0351 seconds