Home Open Account Help 247 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSX: 1 + 1 DPU

Date: 06/11/19 12:37
CSX: 1 + 1 DPU
Author: Lackawanna484

I noticed a train on the Asland camera with a single unit up front, and a mid-train DPU.  Good sized train, I didn't count cars.   Single stacks, UPS trailers, various box cars and hoppers.

Is 1+1 a common practice on CSX? I haven't seen that beore.

Date: 06/11/19 13:12
Re: CSX: 1 + 1 DPU
Author: NYSWSD70M

I see it frequently on the former NYC across upstate New York.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/11/19 13:27
Author: Tominde

I see 1+1 very frequntly on the old B&O Baltimore Philly line.  Both on intermodal and manifest.  It seems much more common in the last several months.  Are the adding DPU capability to more locomotives? 

Date: 06/11/19 14:53
Author: aussiehinz

It was and remains a common practice on CN, where most of the current regime at CSX hail from. They wasted little time in applying the policy to CSX.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/11/19 17:31
Author: RFandPFan

Q031/32 (North Bergen - Jax) almost always run 1+1.

Date: 06/12/19 09:05
Author: engineerinvirginia

RFandPFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Q031/32 (North Bergen - Jax) almost always run
> 1+1.

H750/751 often runs push pull DP, thus to eliminate a time consuming runaround move at Fulton Yard, just swap lead and slave setups and train is ready to go opposite direction!

Date: 06/12/19 15:03
Author: ns1000

Q016 out of Bedford Park has also been running in this arrangement as of late.

Date: 06/13/19 06:04
Author: mully

Last week I saw a westbound onm CSX in Lynchburg Va with one unit of front and one unit about three quarters of the way back.  I am not a DPU expert so I will ask why is this better than just have two units up front?

Gary

Date: 06/13/19 06:24
Author: engineerinvirginia

mully Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Last week I saw a westbound onm CSX in Lynchburg
> Va with one unit of front and one unit about three
> quarters of the way back.  I am not a DPU expert
> so I will ask why is this better than just have
> two units up front?
>
> Gary
>  It eliminates the runaround move at Fulton and Acca.....when the train comes out of Rocky Mount it goes across the A line bridge into Acca, and makes whatever pickup or setoff is needed....then they swap ends and go down to Fulton....swap ends again, and head west. The eastward train does the same thing in reverse! It's isn't always set up that way, owing to the availability of compatible power. 

Date: 06/13/19 13:12
Author: Lackawanna484

Now that I'm watching the 1 + 1 DPU, it does seem much more common.  And, having the second unit about 3/4 of the way back seems to be typical.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0375 seconds