Home Open Account Help 202 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Fresh off the show room floor!

Date: 06/15/19 18:22
Fresh off the show room floor!
Author: sparky52t

Saw this ‘track alignment/leveling’ device on the Lurgan branch, west of Harrisburg, Pa a few days ago. It looked all shiny and new so thought I’d share it with all you folks.

Date: 06/15/19 18:33
Re: Fresh off the show room floor!
Author: sparky52t

Here’s another close-up of the Harsco Mark IV HD. (I guess the HD stands for high-definition)?

Date: 06/15/19 21:09
Author: MP555

sparky52t Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here’s another close-up of the Harsco Mark IV
> HD. (I guess the HD stands for high-definition)?

I believe it's "Heavy Duty", referring to the workhead frame design.

Date: 06/17/19 05:21
Author: Frank30

Is this one of the machines that keeps moving forward while the fingers are in the ballast doing  a
shaking motion??  Looks like the cab unit could be separate from the front portion.

Frank30

Date: 06/20/19 16:51
Author: Masterwelder

Tamper.  The fingers vibrate and tamp the ballast around the ties to maintain the desired surface conditions. Say if altering the rail in a curve or to lift track, ballast is added, tamper operator plots the section and the tamper will adjust by clamping onto the rail, lifting and then tamp ballast to hold where desired. A Regulator will follow and push excess ballast out of the gauge, profile the shoulders and broom off the ties. Also used when ties and switches are replaced, just about any track work or just to keep good surface conditions. An old head told me surfacing helps a lot to prevent derailments. 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/19 16:57 by Masterwelder.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0298 seconds