Home Open Account Help 287 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > A Sunday PL Salute: West Slope

Date: 06/16/19 16:31
A Sunday PL Salute: West Slope
Author: DJ-12

As has been widley noted, former PRR signals on the NS Pittsburgh Line are falling fast. Here's a little tribute from my attempts to document traffic moving under these iconic pieces of machinery over the past few years, starting at Galitzan and moving westward:
1. NS W6A, lead by the CNJ heritage unit, passes the dwarf signal that gaurds the loop track from UN at AR on main 1.
2. NS 591 passes the signal bridge at MP 249 on a pleasant spring day.
3. NS 11A at the same spot, backlit passing a loaded eastbound coal drag on a crisp fall morning.
(More to come)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/19 17:35 by DJ-12.

Date: 06/16/19 16:46
Re: A Sunday PL Salute: West Slope

4. A well timed and quick stop on the US 22 ramp allowed a shot of 14G crawling up track 2 at the 252 signals.
5. A long tele from Carney's Crossing pulls in the helpers on 594 and 36A as they make a slow race to the top of the hill. 36A will ultimately win the race and cross ahead of the coal drag at AR.
6. The C48 crew leads a coal drag off the South Fork Secondary into a building snow storm as it passes the signal bridge and begins to round the big sweeping curve and at Lilly.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/19 17:34 by DJ-12.

Date: 06/16/19 16:58

7. Bennett Levin's immaculate E units lead a private car special east at Lilly on a perfect spring morning.
8. Fall light changes the sun angle to a more side lit exposure as 10N charges towards the summit on track 2.
9. NS 20R was my last train under the bridge at Lilly a couple of weeks ago, closing the book on one of my favorite locations on the Pgh Line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/19 17:34 by DJ-12.

Date: 06/16/19 17:11

13. NS 294 is leaving a trail of snow in its wake as it approaches the signals at 256 and the big cut at Cassandra.
14. Cassandra's straightaway is a great place for backlighting and glint shots. 10N charges up track 1 as a set of helpers heads towards Conemaugh for another shove.
15. At dusk on a cold winter night, Amtrak train 43 races towards Pittsburgh on track 3 and will shortly overtake an empty hopper on 2.

Thanks all for looking. I'll have to finish up with more at some point in the future.

Date: 06/16/19 17:12
Author: birdman

Outstanding collection of photos.  Well done!  Things have certainly changed on the West Slope and Middle Division.   Due to my current work schedule and shoulder replacement surgery scheduled for the end of July, It will be a while before I can get back to see how things look now.  It's interesting to listen to the talk on the scanner feed.  Apparently, the dispatchers, maintainers, and train crews are experiencing lots of problems since the cut over of the new signals.  

Date: 06/16/19 17:15
Author: march_hare

#13 is a masterful use of unfavorable lighting. Bravo!

Date: 06/16/19 17:26
Author: HAMTURN

Great shots. I wonder when and who will put a web cam in this location
Bill Turner Hamilton Ont.

Date: 06/16/19 18:24
Author: refarkas

An "A+" selection of photos.
Bob

Date: 06/16/19 19:36
Author: perklocal

Top Notch !  Those shots at Cassandra are awesome. I really like 07T heading into the fading sunset !

Date: 06/16/19 21:05
Author: Forever-Railfan-45

Number seven is by far one the best photographs showing what was once the mighty PRR's stomping grounds and you captured it beautifully...the iconic E8's and the PRR signal bridge.  Two quintessential examples representing the heritage of the PRR. Just got home from the police department dispatch center and this made up for the fecal day I had. Thank you so much for this photograph. I sincerely hope to see this as IOTD tomorrow when I arise. Again thank you...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/19 08:50 by Forever-Railfan-45.

Date: 06/16/19 22:23
Author: Odyssey

Thank you for sharing the images ... all are great quality!
I agree on #7 being a true keeper ... well done!

Odyssey
Evergreen, CO

Date: 06/17/19 05:41
Author: bobk

Great shots!

Date: 06/17/19 05:45
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

Date: 06/17/19 09:30
Author: RGDave

As usual, beautiful stuff buddy!

~RGDave

Date: 06/17/19 13:53
Author: jmbreitigan

DJ-12, I am having a tough time moving past photo #7. What a photo. A fine series.
John

Date: 06/17/19 14:21
Author: TheNavigator

Great series!
GK

Date: 06/17/19 17:54
Author: reel_smooth

I don't think I can add anything else that hasn't already been said - great stuff! Thank you for sharing. 

Date: 06/18/19 06:25
Author: MILW86A

Great stuff sir. Glad I got out there in 2016 to get the signals when I did.

MILW86A

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0617 seconds