Home Open Account Help 259 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > My Adventures in Pittsburgh

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 07/05/19 14:36
My Adventures in Pittsburgh
Author: Passfanatic

Between Monday night of 6/24/19 through Sunday 6/30/19, I was in Pittsburgh and had a lot of time to railfan. I photographed a lot of Norfolk & Southern. I managed to get some Amtrak trains on camera. Even though this isn't good for passengers, I was able to get Amtrak Train # 30 multiple times on camera. I took a side trip to the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum in Washington as well.
On Monday 6/24/19, after getting off of an hour and a half Amtrak Train # 43 in Pittsburgh, I had to get some pictures of the consist, even though the lighting wasn't good.

1. I made a black and white conversion to this picture of the Kitchi Gami Club car on the rear of Amtrak Train # 43 after having arrived from NYP. The Pacific Home is the next car down.

2. Amtrak P42 # 125 was the power for today's train between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.

Date: 07/05/19 14:44
Re: My Adventures in Pittsburgh

On Tuesday 6/25, I wasted no time getting up to get these following photographs.

1. A very late running Amtrak Train # 30 crossing the Ft. Wayne Bridge just before making its station stop at Pittsburgh Union Station. Unfortunately, I probably should have been higher up because of the side bridge girders.

2. Viewed from the W. North Avenue Overpass, an eastbound NS freight with a GP38-2 leading is about to pass underneath me.

3. A westbound Allegheny Valley Railroad train passes through West Park.

Date: 07/05/19 14:50

1. An eastbound NS freight is about to pass underneath the W. North Avenue Bridge toward Downtown Pittsburgh and beyond.

2. The Monongehela Incline is on its ascent up Washington Hill after departing the Lower Station.

3. Only seconds from arriving at the Upper Station, the Monongehela Incline enables people to offer amazing views of the Downtown Pittsburgh Skyline.

Date: 07/05/19 15:01

1. Here is a picture of a Pittsburgh T light rail train crossing the Monongehela River with the skyline of Downtown Pittsburgh on the left of the photograph .

2. I was able to capture this picture of the Duquesne Incline approaching its Upper Station. The skyline of Downtown Pittsburgh is in the background. On the left is the point where all of the three rivers in Pittsburgh meet-the Ohio, Allegheny, and Monongehela.

3. Riding the Monongehela Incline-we are departing the Lower Station and in the distance is another incline car which we are about to pass.

Date: 07/05/19 15:05

1. Riding the Duquesne Incline down the hill.

2. A CSX freight passes Station Square on the left with the Downtown Pittsburgh Skyline in the background. I have always wanted to get a picture of a train passing on this right of way.

Date: 07/05/19 15:10

On Wednesday 6/26/19, I got up early to take the following photographs.

1. Amtrak Capitol Limited Train # 30 running over two hours late shortly after departing Pittsburgh Union Station. He is now on the Allegheny Valley Railroad Trackage and is about to pass undernearth the Herron Ave bridge.

2. Amtrak Pennsylvanian Train # 42 has two Norfolk & Southern Engines and the usual P42 leading it eastward as it passes the gentrified East Liberty Section.

3. This is a morning view of the former Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Station. I took this picture from the Smithfield Bridge.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/19 15:13 by Passfanatic.

Date: 07/05/19 15:13
Author: refarkas

Great set of photos. Thanks for sharing these.
Bob

Date: 07/05/19 15:20

During the afternoon of 6/26/19, I took a side trip to Leetsdale and was very pleased with the action there.

1. I was able to get this westbound NS Intermodel being led by ES44AC # 8000 and another unit.

2. Still standing but on borrowed time is one of the classic PRR signal bridges. The days of it are waning and in the foreground is a replacement signal bridge that will contain more modern signals.

3. Two NS Units power an eastbound freight through the Ohio River Valley town of Leetsdale as it heads toward Downtown Pittsburgh and beyond.

Date: 07/05/19 15:26

These next few pictures are still in Leetsdale on 6/26/19.

1. A Dash 9 leads an eastbound long freight through Leetsdale with a soon to be phased out PRR signal bridge next to its replacement signal bridge.

2, 3. These are pictures westbound oil train passing through Leetsdale.

Date: 07/05/19 15:28

Eastbound NS Freight passing through Leetsdale only a few minutes before I leave.

Date: 07/05/19 15:33
Author: bigkidpgh

Hope you had a good time in my hometown! Leetsdale is one of my fav places to watch trains. You got some really nice shots. Thanks for sharing.

Date: 07/05/19 15:34

On Thurday morning, I photographed Amtrak, CSX, and NS. I took a trip to the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum which was nice!

1. We start off the day by observing Amtrak P42 # 145 back in PA running on Pennsylvanian Train # 42 as it passes the E. Liberty Section of Pittsburgh.

2. Taken from the tip of Downtown Pittsburgh, a southbound CSX train runs on the other side of the shore from Downtown Pittsburgh. I took this picture from Point State Park.

3. The same CSX train that I photographed had an engine on the rear. In the background is Washington Hill as well as Station Square. That bridge very close to me is the Liberty Bridge.

Date: 07/05/19 17:50

Now, it's time to enjoy pictures from the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum. I enjoyed it a lot but when the new visitors center opens up, it will be a little better. It's still a nice museum to visit with a lot of old fashioned trolleys on display. I don't know much background about many of the museum displays.

Date: 07/05/19 17:54

The first two pictures are near where we pick up the tickets for the trolley rides. The third picture is inside the main trolley exhibit hall.

Date: 07/05/19 17:57

1. A PCC that used to roam the streets of Pittsburgh and the South Hills.

2. A very old Septa Market-Frankford Rapid Transit Car.

3. A Septa PCC car.

Date: 07/05/19 18:03

1. Inside the main trolley hall.

2. Interior of Pittsburgh PCC car.

3. This is the trolley that was used to take cover the entire loop of tracks around the museum.

Date: 07/05/19 18:07

1. On the longer trolley excursion, this is the loop where we turned back to go to the trolley station ticket area.

2. Trolley right of way and on the right is the Allegheny Valley Railroad right of way.

3. This was the trolley that ran to the big trolley hall.

Date: 07/05/19 18:11

These shots were taken in Homestead, PA along the NS Line.
1. Westbound intermodel train passing the old Homestead Station.

2. Two NS Dash 9 units lead an eastbound intermodel past the old Homestead Station.

3. This is the old Homestead Station, now an attorney's office.

Date: 07/05/19 18:17

1. On Thursday 6/27/19, another eastbound NS intermodel train passes through Homestead with two Dash 9 units leading.
                              These pictures below were taken on 6/26/19
2. A Pittsburgh T light rail train is about to stop at the North Shore Station heading west.

3. On 6/28/19, a Pittsburgh T train rounds the sharp curve at the Gateway Station heading to Allegheny Station.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/19 09:27 by Passfanatic.

Date: 07/05/19 18:25

1. On 6/28/19, Amtrak Pennsylvanian Train # 43 passes through the East Liberty section of Pittsburgh running on or close to schedule.

2. The Monongehela Incline is about to go up Washington Hill.

3. An Allegheny bound T light rail train has just exited Mt. Washington Tunnel and is about to enter Station Square Station, out of view.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0999 seconds