Home Open Account Help 241 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > From Junk to a Gem - INER

Date: 07/06/19 12:43
From Junk to a Gem - INER
Author: WrongMain

Back in May of 2013, I found the Indiana Northeastern GP9 1603 sitting in the small yard at Hillsdale, MI, along with the former CSX 4126, which was being cannibalized to keep the other two GP30s on the roster working.  I was afraid the 1603 was going to meet the same fate.  Then in May of 2019, I made another trip to see the INER and wound up in Coldwater, MI looking for those two GP30s that I hope were working the industrial park there.  I didn't find either of the GP30s, but I did stumble across the old 1603, now wearing its original number, 5903, from its days on the New York Central's Cleveland Union Terminal.  The shop forces had rebuilt her into a "GP9H" and given her a fresh coat of paint.  She now looks like the queen of the fleet.

Date: 07/06/19 12:59
Re: From Junk to a Gem - INER
Author: ghemr

Those are some great "before and after" photos! I'm glad you shared them!!

Date: 07/06/19 13:13
Author: perklocal

Nice ! That's one classy Torpedo Geep.

Date: 07/06/19 13:55
Author: refarkas

She certainly looks good. Thanks for these before and after photos.
Bob

Date: 07/06/19 17:55
Author: EMDSW-1

Amazing how a little "pride in ownership" makes her stand out...beautiful job and I'll bet that brass bell sounds sweet!

Dick Samuels

Date: 07/07/19 07:12
Author: NKP-875

The NKP paint scheme transposes nicely to an NYC unit.

She (It) would have handled some NKP varnish during her (its) assignment at the CUT.    DAM

Date: 07/07/19 14:06
Author: eljay

Does anyone know if the control stand was upgraded? Barrel and 24-RL brakevalve b da shizzle!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0359 seconds