Home Open Account Help 236 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Railroad Poems

Date: 07/10/19 11:24
Railroad Poems
Author: Railrev

An odd request.
Does anyone know of any railroad poems that might be appropriate for a eulogy for a man who worked on ATSF?
Thanks for the help.
Railrev

Cross posting on a couple of other forums

Date: 07/10/19 17:52
Re: Railroad Poems
Author: nickatnight

I wonder if the words to Johnny Cash ”Life’s Railway to Heaven” would work?

It does not specify Santa Fe or any other road but it is not without message. 

Nickatnight

Date: 07/10/19 19:38
Author: milepost180

I Googled it and there were a few.

Date: 07/12/19 22:50
Author: robbie

Sorry for only now posting; just getting the craziness of the workweek a bit under control...

Other than the oft-mentioned "Railway to Heaven" (which I always knew as simply "Like is like a Mountain Railway"), I've always found a sweetness in the Goebel Reeves song "Hobo's Lullaby," most well known from Woody Guthrie but as I heard it by the Kingston Trio. I've sometimes considered "Railway to Heaven" and "Hobo's Lullaby" both for use in the congregation I serve if we ever wanted to venture outside the hymnal, with lyrics I've worked on adapting for theological and topical reasons. (It's likely musical heresy to change classic folk/gospel song lyrics, but I've taken away a bit of the "earning my salvation" sense that isn't in line with my denomination; changed the references to "policemen" in "Hobo" to "bad men," and added a verse to "Hobo" about the end of his ride specifically when I was considering it for a funeral...)

Being someone with strong interest in railroads, theology and literature, I'm actually rather surprised that I can't think of any railroad-related poems or even prose excerpts that really use railroading well as a symbol for life's journey, stability and change, etc. Sure, there are a few overly sentimental things online here or there that you could imagine being in a funeral home handout, but nothing that strikes me as classic or profound. I'll have to dig through the dusty cobwebs of my weird brain to see if I can remember anything! And if you've found anything else, I'd love to know!

The only other resource I'd imagine was a funeral earlier this year for a longtime railfan and model railroader in Marion, Ohio. His service, officiated by a Methodist minster, was actually held at the restored railroad station in Marion, right where three lines converge. Sadly, I couldn't make the drive down for the funeral, but I understand it was quite nice, and I'd wonder if there wre any rail-related readings shared there...

Good luck!
Robbie
Perrysburg, Ohio

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.149 seconds