Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Help Wanted: FRA Deputy Administrator for Railroad Safety

Date: 07/10/19 13:46
Help Wanted: FRA Deputy Administrator for Railroad Safety
Author: Lackawanna484

Progressive Railroading has a help wanted ad for a senior exec at the Federal Railroad Administration. I believe the job has been open since September.  The administration is also seeking a director of safety analysis.

https://www.progressiverailroading.com/jobs/details/Deputy-Associate-Administrator-FRA--811

Date: 07/10/19 17:40
Re: Help Wanted: FRA Deputy Administrator for Railroad Safety
Author: engineerinvirginia

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Progressive Railroading has a help wanted ad for a
> senior exec at the Federal Railroad
> Administration. I believe the job has been open
> since September.  The administration is also
> seeking a director of safety analysis.
>
>
> https://www.progressiverailroading.com/jobs/detail
> s/Deputy-Associate-Administrator-FRA--811

I'll take it....if it pays into railroad retirement.....I only need 8 years or so and I'll be out of there

Date: 07/10/19 18:05
Author: gbmott

engineerinvirginia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
>
> I'll take it....if it pays into railroad
> retirement....

Sorry, Civil Service job.

Gordon

Date: 07/11/19 10:40
Author: Shortline

But you DO maintain your current connection. Really only terribly helpful if you've already got 30 years paid in, but not yet 60, then you can go, keep the current connection, and retire when you hit 60 without penalty as you would if you left before 30 years in.

Date: 07/11/19 11:56
Author: espeefan

With this current non-labor friendly Jackwagon administration, I'd be very surprised if the new hire is allowed to make any unbiased decisions!

Posted from Android

Date: 07/12/19 09:31
Author: biff

So if its a civil service job, some 23 year old college graduate with no knowledge about railroads or railroading can pass a test and make decisions that will have an effect on a railroad and its employees. In other words, very similar to many of todays trainmasters and lower level management.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/12/19 09:57

Lots of Secretary and Administrator level people have minimal familiarity with their area of governance.

Who was The last Secretary of Labor to have been a union member or attorney?

Posted from Android

Date: 07/16/19 08:27
Author: wilewil

Civil Service jobs are not filled by testing, not even entry level.
Go read the qualifications for this job, a part of which are:

As a basic requirement for entry into the Senior Executive Service (SES), you must clearly articulate and describe within your resume  evidence of progressively responsible supervisory, managerial, or professional experience which involved management of a program or organization of significant scope and complexity. The experience must have been sufficiently responsible to show clearly your ability to perform the duties of this position and meet the mandatory Technical Qualifications and Managerial Executive Core Qualifications listed below.TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS (TQs): Below are descriptions of the Technical Qualifications that must be clearly evident in your resume. 1. Demonstrated experience in formulating program goals related to transportation safety, including regulatory and legislative activities, that improve the safety culture and safety record of transportation industries; as well as to assure and enhance program and safety compliance. This includes the ability to find solutions to transportation safety issues with all levels of government and industry that includes management, labor, and various related associations.2. Comprehensive knowledge of current technological advances, economic and operating conditions, and policy trends that impact and relate to surface transportation systems, which will help support FRA programmatic goals and objectives.DESIRABLE QUALIFICATION (DQ):1. Demonstrated experience and knowledge related to the required technical qualifications that pertains specifically to the nation’s railroad infrastructure, industry and its ancillary components.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/19 08:29 by wilewil.

Date: 07/16/19 10:53

The senior executive service (which this job is a part of) consists of appointed persons who demonstrate management skills, etc.  They are below the ranks of politcally appointed and confirmed positions. And, serve as a link between these appointees and the federal workforce.

Office of Personnel Management's view:  https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/senior-executive-service/

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0593 seconds