Home Open Account Help 373 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Lake Shore freight motor

Date: 07/11/19 11:54
Lake Shore freight motor
Author: erielackawanna

Had a meeting in Avon Lake and got there way too early. Drove around in circles a bit to kill time, when I spotted this interurban freight motor in the parking lot of a shopping center. This thing is a beauty! 

Date: 07/11/19 14:08
Re: Lake Shore freight motor
Author: ns1000

Very nice indeed..!!

Date: 07/11/19 14:27
Author: refarkas

It truly is a beautiful piece of interurban history.
Bob

Date: 07/12/19 06:09
Author: borg

Where is this located?  In Avon Lake?

Date: 07/12/19 06:17
Author: erielackawanna

As noted in the first post, Avon Lake. It is across from the power plant.

Date: 07/12/19 16:26
Author: HB90MACH

Wonder what the story is. 

Date: 07/12/19 22:13
Author: SD45X

What state?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/13/19 01:51
Author: 41bridge

Northern Ohio.

Date: 07/14/19 16:56
Author: wabash2800

OK, the fact that it was saved is nice, but I'm sure the scheme and lettering is totaly fictional. (Gosh, I can never understand why if an outfit is going to do something like that, that they can't reach out for historical information or do a little research. It wouldn't have cost any more to paint it right. God help them if they hired a consultant.)

On antoher note, the Mad River Museum in Freemont, Ohio has something like that, but it's all wood and its hiding in their shop building for right now. The got some trucks for it, and I got the see the inside of that freight motor and it was an awesome step back in time. It appears they are working on it as money and time permits but they will get it right.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/19 16:57 by wabash2800.

Date: 07/14/19 18:07
Author: BRAtkinson

For those interested in interurban railroads, here's a shot of one of the Lake Shore Electric box motors that's reasonably close to the one pictured.
LSE Box Motor #35
The obvious house door up front and perhaps some of the windows on the sides were cut in when the car was being put on display.  It looks like the end windows were purchased at Home Depot as well.  Side windows in box motors were a rarity as they'd get broken if a box of some LCL merchandise shifted while traveling and would break the window. 

As for any concept of historical accuracy, it looks like ALL the under-car gear, from resistor grids, air brake apparatus, and probably the truss rods as well were eliminated.  I highly doubt there's any traction motors in the trucks, too.  Topside, the trolley poles,ventilators and 'roof mats' (to protect the roof if a pole got dewired) as well as the retrievers (sprung rope spools) and headlight are all gone.  What's displayed now is a hollow tourist attraction akin to the shell and trucks of an F unit with absolutely nothing inside.

The same site as linked to above has a number of photos of various LSE equipment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/19 18:08 by BRAtkinson.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0595 seconds