Home Open Account Help 381 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Trains need diesel, railfans need White Castle

Date: 07/12/19 15:46
Trains need diesel, railfans need White Castle
Author: cabsignaldrop

In the Midwest railfans know where to grab some quick soul food to fuel their early morning adventures.  Here we have a southbound CSX manifest on Louisville and Indiana trackage (ex-PRR) Indianapolis-Louisville main nearing Jeff Yard back on June 24th at about 1030am.  We are looking north out of my cozy stall towards the southbound train. That's US 31 paralleling the tracks.  This photo was taken with my cellphone through the glass so please forgive the poor quality.  The coffee, cheeseburgers and train brought me back to many adventures taken with my late Father.  White Castle...you either love 'em or hate 'em.  I love 'em!

Date: 07/12/19 16:11
Re: Trains need diesel, railfans need White Castle
Author: Heath_Tower

Used to go the White Castle on VIrginia Ave. in downtown Indy years ago when us Indianpolis railfans used
to congregate at  the "ramp", the elevated area by I.U. tower which is now being razed.

Throughout the Friday or Saturday night, someone was always going on a coffee run to the 'Castle,
which has to be the hottest coffee ever, 211.9 degrees it seemed, we called the stuff "Nuclear Coffee"...

The tiny burgers taste  good but are likely not good for one's arteries...

Date: 07/12/19 17:05
Author: biff

I went to a White Castle once when I was railfanning in Illinois. Ive railfanned Illinois many times since and that one time was my only visit there. Been to many BK, McD, Wendys etc. I guess you know my opinion of WC.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/12/19 18:45
Author: bigmc83

The tradition lives on in my house too.  My dad reminisces of his childhood which consisted of grabbing White Castles and watching trains at St Louis Union Station.  Today, the tradition lives on of my 3 year old son and I grabbing White Castles and watching trains while playing on the playgym at Arbuckle Park in Brownsburg, IN.   When you get the craving, there is no substition!

Sean McCaffery
Zionsville, IN

Date: 07/12/19 19:45
Author: toledopatch

biff Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I went to a White Castle once when I was
> railfanning in Illinois. Ive railfanned Illinois
> many times since and that one time was my only
> visit there. Been to many BK, McD, Wendys etc. I
> guess you know my opinion of WC. 

I'm with you. Those who like all the stuff White Castle slathers on their sliders, love it. Those who want to actually taste beef will be sorely disappointed.

Date: 07/13/19 05:29
Author: engineerinvirginia

The nearest White Castle to me is easily 500 miles...but I will hop on my motorcycle and go to get some when the spirit moves me. 

Date: 07/13/19 09:47
Author: junctiontower

I've eaten a few White castles in my day, but luckily in Fort Wayne, we have a place called Powers right across the street from the old PRR Baker Street station that makes sliders with fresh ground beef, freshly cut sweet onions and served with little dinner rolls for buns.  They are SO GOOD they make a White Castle taste like dirt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/19 09:48 by junctiontower.

Date: 07/13/19 11:37
Author: WrongMain

Count me as a lover of White Castles, sliders, belly bombers, Whitey One Bites, whatever you want to call them.  Back before the internet and cell phones, we used to keep a White Castle directory, yes they did exist, in the car for those railfan trips when only a White Castle would do.   They don't call it the "Crave" for nothing.

Date: 07/13/19 13:34
Author: Heath_Tower

WrongMain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Count me as a lover of White Castles, sliders,
> belly bombers, Whitey One Bites, whatever you want
> to call them.  Back before the internet and cell
> phones, we used to keep a White Castle directory,
> yes they did exist, in the car for those railfan
> trips when only a White Castle would do.   They
> don't call it the "Crave" for nothing.

Near the I-69/SR 67 exit by Daleville, Indiana there is a White Castle where you can see the former CR (now CSX) indianapolis Line,
plus the nearby Chesterfield detector can be heard if a scanner is handy. The tracks are visible across a field.

One time the tour bus for the country singer Neil MccCoy stopped there while I was having a meal, with himself and the whole band
and crew getting off for Slyders, every one of them asked for "no onions"... I could tell  Neil and the whole group must've just used "Eau de
Wild Turkey" cologne...

When I'm traveling though the South I ask for "no mustard" on the similar Krystal burgers...

Date: 07/14/19 13:19
Author: irhoghead

White Castle was a staple for many a high school kid after a late Friday/Saturday night out. Brings back lots of memories.

Date: 07/14/19 16:46
Author: wabash2800

I tried those burgers once in Indianapolis years ago. I got sick to my stomach. Even if I were still into that kind of food, I'd skipp White Castle.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 07/18/19 18:08
Author: wilewil

In the south it's Krystal.  Not exactly the same, but very close.  I lived for a while in the DC area, that's the great slider gap - neither WC or Krystal.

Date: 07/19/19 11:33
Author: Electroliner

That picture of the "Whitie Cheeseburgers" brought tears of joy to my eyes.  Got through grad school on those!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0565 seconds