Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Buffalo, NY

Date: 07/20/19 10:27
Buffalo, NY
Author: RiverLineProductions

Hi everyone... I am going to have a couple of days in Buffalo, NY in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone could recommend some locations to me... I would be interested in shooting all that's there: CSX, NS, B&P, CP, CN, etc... Spots I know are Depew, NY, and Westfield, NY

One other spot I know is International Bridge between the US and Canada... How many trains cross this daily?

Finally, are there any good spots on the Canadian side of the border that I should check out? I've heard of Bayview Junction but don't know much about the action there...

Any info much appreciated. Thanks All!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/19 10:30 by RiverLineProductions.

Date: 07/20/19 12:17
Re: Buffalo, NY
Author: SouthBuffalo1

Lake Avenue in Hamburg will allow you to see CSX, NS, B&P , and short line Buffalo Southern. Tifft Street bridge gives you a good vantage point also. These are easily accessible off route 5.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/20/19 13:14
Author: rbenko

Bayview Junction is in Hamilton, ON, about an 80 minute drive from Buffalo.  Lots of action there (CN, CP, GO, Via) and you can hang out on a pedestrian bridge.  Not too sure about how the foliage is nowadays (haven't been there in a LONG time), but I believe looking south it's pretty clear. 

Bayview Junction on Google Maps

Back in Buffalo, a couple of overpasses over CSX to check out are Bailey Ave. and Harlem Rd. - from Bailey looking west you can get the Buffalo Central Terminal tower in your shots, and from Harlem Rd. looking west you can look into Frontier yard.  Not sure about the neighborhoods they are in - wasn't great when I was shooting there 25+ years ago, but looking on Google Maps they don't look too bad. 

Also, you can nab westbound freights with the Buffalo Central Terminal tower in the background from William Street, just before it goes under the CSX tracks - there's a sidewalk on the north side of the street.  However, I don't think it's in a great neighborhood, so that might be a grab and go kind of shot.

Williams Street location

As mentioned, Tifft Street is pretty great (look for Roadjob's thread in the Nostalgia and History board about a week ago for shots there in the 70's).  Not sure about traffic on the international bridge.

Good luck, stay safe, and enjoy!

Date: 07/20/19 18:39
Author: CCMF

Bayview ON is a morning place light only good til about 10:00.

Bill Miller
Galt, ON

Date: 07/21/19 14:03
Author: RiverLineProductions

Thanks All for the great responses!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.038 seconds