Home Open Account Help 293 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > The Effects Of NS Top 21 Operations In West Georgia

Date: 08/11/19 06:43
The Effects Of NS Top 21 Operations In West Georgia
Author: NSSpike

In this series of photos we take a look at manifest & auto-rack traffic in west Georgia and the effects of the new NS Top 21 operating plan that went into effect back on July 4, 2019. During the past couple of months the Alabama East End has had four trains annulled from the almost daily traffic pattern of this east/west main between Birmingham and Atlanta. 

The following trains have been annulled on the Alabama East End District during the past year.
NS 172 (NEW ORLEANS, LA (UP QLINSL) - LINWOOD, NC)
NS 173 (LINWOOD, NC – BIRMINGHAM, ALA)
NS 22Q (ATLANTA, GA - NEW ORLEANS, LA)
NS 298 (NEW ORLEANS, LA - ATLANTA, GA)
NS 68C (ROBERTA, ALA- ATLANTA, GA. Argos Cement Train Loads)
NS 69C (ATLANTA, GA – ROBERTA, ALA Argos Cement Train MTs)
NS 290 (McCALLA, AL – CROXTON, NJ)
NS 22Z (SHREVEPORT, LA (UP KLCAI / KCS IKLCAI) - ATLANTA, GA.)

#1. NS 27A-23 (ANGUILLA JCT, GA (GITM) - VANCE ALA) west bound with 13 articulated racks / 38 standard racks on the mainline Villa Rica Georgia. Rare to see anything other then empty auto-racks on this one.  

#2. Another 27A-25 heading west on the siding at Bremen Ga. Again solid auto-racks. 

One of the most obvious visual change so far has been noted on east bound auto-rack train NS 26A. The head end has had anywhere from 8 to 30 mixed freight cars for the last several weeks.  
#3. NS 26A-26 (VANCE ALA – ANGUILLA JCT, GA (GITM) = “Golden Isles Terminal RR” Brunswick GALoaded auto-racks for export. Head end with 8 mixed freight 50 auto-racks through Temple Georgia.

...more to follow....

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/19 11:33 by NSSpike.

Date: 08/11/19 06:47
Re: The Effects Of NS Top 21 Operations In West Georgia

#4. Another 26A with 17 freight and only 15 auto-racks?? Usually runs upwards of 80 auto-racks east bound. 

Another visual change I had not seen before is the cut of loaded eastern coal cars within the consist on NS 153 (LINWOOD, NC - BIRMINGHAM, AL). Have seen anywhere form 8 to 30 loaded “TOP GON” hoppers on this train.

#5. NS 153 west bound out of Temple Georgia. 

#6. This one had 30 loaded “TOP GON” hoppers.
Research results are: ORIG: True Energy Coal Superior WV. DEST: ABC Coke Tarrant City AL.Re-routed as a result of “Clean Sheeting?” Perhaps. I don't recall ever seeing west bound loaded coal on this line.May have previously been routed into Birmingham Via Chattanooga on the North AGS in the past? Locals in Birmingham indicate they have been seeing TOP GON hoppers at this customers location for at least the past 3 plus years.

...more to follow....

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 08/11/19 06:49

As a rule west bound freights on the Alabama East End District tend to have more empties (Avg. 135) then loads. Rare to ever see any mid-train DPU applications.  

#7. A bit of an artsy shot in Tallapoosa Georgia as NS 187-27 ( MACON, GA – BIRMINGHAM, ALA)heads west through town with 142 cars after reporting about a 2hr.delay due to a broken rail west of town.

#8. A long 12,000ft NS 153-27 (LINWOOD, NC - BIRMINGHAM, AL) at the same location. This one at 194 cars with 20 loaded “TOP GON” hoppers.  

...more to follow....

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 08/11/19 06:51

As previously posted here on TO back in December 2018 NS redirect the majority of freight bound for Carrollton Ga Via Chattanooga TN instead of Birmingham Al. Southbound 371 from Chattanooga after setting out cars in Rome Ga continues south on the “C-Line” to Cedartown GA. After a re-crew and running as G01 Turn it heads south to Bremen / Carrollton Ga. 

# 9. Running long hood forward NS #9243 leads Georgia Division's NS G01-26 north bound with 27 cars crossing over the Alabama Division East End diamond at North Bremen. At Cedartown this train will become NS 370 for the return trip to Chattanooga. 

# 10. After working off of the C-Line's north siding tracks at Bremen, Carrollton local G66-28 #6085 leads NS G01 #1200 by the South Bremen signal. South of town they will work the “Ledbetter” siding where G01 will get their north bound cut of cars and back to the depot in Cedartown.  

#11. This G01 has a ticket to ride all the way down to Carrollton Georgia on this day. With the NS #7308 EMD/NS SD70ACU (Former SD90MAC NS 7308/UP 3637/UP 8140) leads a cut of 17 cars southbound on the C-Line at the South Bremen signal. 

Thanks for stopping by and always be safe when out track side!!! 

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 08/11/19 09:10
Author: srman

Good info Phil. You know I thought 172/173 trains were from down your way. Recently up here in Louisville Ky. I’ve heard those symbols up here. Haven’t looked up where they originate or end though. Thanks

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/11/19 09:12
Author: steamloco

North of Atlanta, on the old Piedmont Division 154 and 172 are combined. One complete train leading and the second just attached to to rear of the first. 2 or 3 units in the lead and 2 or 3 in the center and a 2 1/2 mile train looking for a place to derail.

Date: 08/11/19 09:18
Author: florida581

srman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good info Phil. You know I thought 172/173 trains
> were from down your way. Recently up here in
> Louisville Ky. I’ve heard those symbols up here.
> Haven’t looked up where they originate or end
> though. Thanks

172 Chattanooga, TN - Louisville, KY
173 Louisville, KY - Chattanooga, TN

Andrew

Date: 08/11/19 11:12
Author: SD608708

Hey Phil Its McCalla, Al. Great series.

Paul B
Canton, GA

Date: 08/11/19 12:07
Author: goneon66

great info and great images.  this dude from out here in the southwest really looks forward to your posts on the ns's east end.  the ns's curving, undulating and well manicured mainline roadbed look great out there.........

Date: 08/11/19 14:16
Author: ns1000

Nice pics and thanks for the info...

Date: 08/11/19 16:50
Author: RayH

Great stuff, as always, Phil. 

I've been seeing some general freight added to 28T (aka "the Beemer train") in Columbia lately. No general freight added to the counterpart 27T (I've seen that happen exactly once) . General freight goes on 237 to Columbia.

Date: 08/11/19 19:19
Author: hartrick24

Great pictures Phil and thanks for the NS info. Do you know what SD70 is now the NS 1806 in the first photo?

Steve H

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/19 19:19 by hartrick24.

Date: 08/11/19 20:24
Author: srman

1806 was the 2521.

Date: 08/12/19 04:45
Author: jmbreitigan

Nice looking photo of the auto racks at Bremen. If I ever travel your way I will be sure to contact you.
John

Date: 08/12/19 17:13
Author: hartrick24

srman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1806 was the 2521.

Thank you, srman...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0898 seconds