Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > 39G with loaded gons and DPUs

Date: 08/19/19 18:09
39G with loaded gons and DPUs
Author: VFPNSFAN

NS 39G last Saturday evening at MP 34.2 on the Harrisburg Line.  Three units up front, followed by loaded gons, two mid-train DPUs, and mixed freight trailing. Since the implementation of PSR, 39G/38G have absorbed the slab trains formerly run as 61/60N.  39/38G are now daily Conway-Camden(38G), and Camden-Conway(39G).  Traffic from Allentown-Camden is being handled by turn job H44 which runs at night.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/19/19 19:23
Re: 39G with loaded gons and DPUs
Author: MdRailfan

I have one observation and two questions.  The steel slabs cars used to be 75 cars.  Is this down or just now taking whatever is ready when 39G  is ready to leave?   The second question is what determines where the DPU's are placed in the consist.  I've seen CSX put them anywhere from after 14 cars in a 120 car train to 80 cars back in the same train.  Sometimes at the end of a 120 car train.  Thanks for any info.

Date: 08/20/19 20:36
Author: TRACKENGR

Doug,
Great video as usual.  Thanks for sharing. 

To answer the other posters question with a theoretical:  It appears that the DPU set was placed between the usual slab train consist and the 39G consist.  My guess is that when this train gets to a "convenient" location it will be split so that the slab train will transit to the appropriate customer and the 39G consist will transit to Conway.

Just my thoughts.
Steve

Date: 08/21/19 18:51
Author: MdRailfan

Thanks for your two cents worth and that makes sense in this situation, but obviously does not answer the question if there even is a logistical answer.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0304 seconds