Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Delaware-Lackawanna around Scranton August activity

Date: 08/29/19 13:48
Delaware-Lackawanna around Scranton August activity
Author: sscannella

It's been several months since I've posted photos here on TO, I'll start back with this sample of Delaware-Lackawanna activity around Scranton this past month.  First we see the DL3 transfer job starting out of NS's yard in Taylor, PA heading back to the Steamtown Yard in Scranton with 36 loads of grain on Saturday August 3.

Next we see the transfer job back at Scranton from the pedestrian bridge between Steamtown and the Steamtown Marketplace on Thursday August 8 with 35 loads.

The next day, Friday, August 9, the transfer came back with 93 loads, which were a mix of grain, sand , and other commodities.   The job had to pull up through Nay Aug tunnel past Myrtle St with the grain to back off onto the siding through Nay Aug Tunnel for storage overnight.

Date: 08/29/19 13:51
Re: Delaware-Lackawanna around Scranton August activity

On Saturday, August 10, the PO74 job took 39 of those loaded grain cars east to the mill at Mt. Pocono.   That job is seen here at Moscow, the switch for the siding to the Tobyhanna Army Depot, then at Pocono Summit Lake.

Date: 08/29/19 13:55

This past Saturday, August 24, I was waiting for the return of the Steamtown Excursion train from Cresco, PA, when I was somewhat surprised by the PO75 returning from the mill with over 50 empties.   They came down past the passenger loading platform and got permission to pull out onto the NS Sunbury Sub and shove the empties down to Taylor Yard.  I then had time to double back to Steamtown to get the excursion train returning with the Lackawanna-painted F-unit followed by their former Nickel Plate geep.  

Date: 08/29/19 14:02

Some videos...

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/29/19 14:08

Two more...

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/29/19 14:44
Author: PasadenaSub

Great photos of the D-L and their historic fleet of diesels, as well as the Steamtown special.  Makes me want to revisit after my so far only previous trip to Scranton in 2010.

Rich

Date: 08/29/19 15:14
Author: jmbreitigan

Good to see your work Sam. 
John

Date: 08/29/19 23:02
Author: RRBMail

Very nice photos, but whenever I see Steam Town pixs I am reminded, as a Smithsonian-trained curator, that this semi-fake "NHS" has plenty of money and attention--thru political influence--when the real-as-life and largely complete--East Broad Top narrow gauge railroad slumbers penniless...sad. However, curators have a saying, "poverty preserves". Maybe someday Daddy Warbucks will awaken to the need. 

Date: 08/30/19 12:59
Author: callum_out

The rumor that the whole property is for sale for only $8M makes the whole thing a joke, it should have
been picked up years ago. This is probably barely only half of what the 4014 resto cost.

Out

Date: 08/30/19 15:16
Author: ns1000

Thanks for the pics and videos...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0519 seconds