Home Open Account Help 238 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Griffith, IN Questions

Date: 09/08/19 04:14
Griffith, IN Questions
Author: PRR_4859

Good Morning:

How many trains now go through Greiffith, IN and what are their symbols? What are the origination and destination pairs of these same trains?

How does the number of trains that go through Griffith compare to the number that went through here back in the late 1960s when 5 railroads went through there?

Lastly, I recent saw a video of a westbound train going through Griffith with several EMP intermodal containers on it. Are these moved under a haulage agreement? I did not think the CN was a part of that container pool.

Thank you in advance.

Date: 09/08/19 08:02
Re: Griffith, IN Questions
Author: gmojim

CN is part of the EMP pool.

https://www.up.com/customers/premium/emp/index.htm

gmojim

Date: 09/08/19 15:02
Re: Griffith, IN Questions
Author: calumet

PRR_4859 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good Morning:
>
> How many trains now go through Greiffith, IN and
> what are their symbols? What are the origination
> and destination pairs of these same trains?
>
> How does the number of trains that go through
> Griffith compare to the number that went through
> here back in the late 1960s when 5 railroads went
> through there?
>
I would guess around 30+ trains/day.  I don't have symbols but most WB CN trains on GTW will either use a connection to continue west on EJE or else use a new connection to head north on EJE to Kirk Yard, which is now CN's major Chicago area facility.  Very few trains continue west on GTW.  CSX trains can occasionally be found on GTW from the west.  From Munster west, CSX has taken over operation on GTW from there north to Elsdon.  A few years ago CN granted CSX an easement on the property.

In the late '60s there were perhaps 50 trains/day, most on the EJE and Erie-C&O.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/19 19:22 by calumet.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0402 seconds