Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Abandoned Turntable in Pensacola

Date: 09/11/19 08:21
Abandoned Turntable in Pensacola
Author: Arved

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.4089692,-87.2416206,126a,35y,264.8h,45t/data=!3m1!1e3

I was trying to find the BNSF, ex BN, nee Frisco yard in Pensacola, FL using Google Maps. I had business in P-cola for a couple weeks back in the '80s, and would check out the rail yards in town after work. So I remember BN having a yard in town, but was fuzzy on where it is. I could find the CSX yard, but where the heck was the BN yard? This abandoned turntable is my only clue.

Is this the BNSF/BN/Frisco yard location? Is this still BNSF? What's the history?

aTdHvAaNnKcSe

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, FL

Date: 09/11/19 08:30
Re: Abandoned Turntable in Pensacola
Author: Dewman45

The BNSF ex BN exx SLSF is now the Alabama & Gulf Coast Railroad which is owned by G&W The old roundhouse and yard is off of FL 292 (S. Pace Blvd) on the property of CDC Woodworking.
PS: If you look on Google maps you can still just see the pit where the turntable was.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/19 08:42 by Dewman45.

Date: 09/11/19 08:52

That's the place. CDC Woodworking looks to be on the other side of the fence from "Milton Yard - Pensacola Rail Yard Crushed Stone." 

​So when did BNSF sell this off? I'll have to investigate the history of the Alabama and Gulf Coast further.

I really appreciate the information! Thank you very much,

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, FL

Date: 09/11/19 09:45
Author: ctillnc

> ​So when did BNSF sell this off? I'll have to investigate the history
> of the Alabama and Gulf Coast further.

Read the Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alabama_and_Gulf_Coast_Railway

Date: 09/11/19 12:59
Author: IU_Tower

Date: 09/11/19 20:55
Author: Panamerican99

The ex-Frisco turntable was donated to the Florida RR Museum and removed and moved to their shop area at Willow, FL about three years ago.
It will eventually be installed there. So, the Google photos are out of date now.
-JH

Date: 09/13/19 06:18

Thanks for the info!

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, FL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0383 seconds