Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Sleeping PRR Alco

Date: 09/14/19 15:25
Sleeping PRR Alco
Author: CSXperiment

It was cool to go visit this old engine. Another year and this thing will be fully buried in foliage... I know the back story and completely understand how expensive it would be to re-hab this engine, however I feel like this should really get rebuilt, or at least stored inside.

Date: 09/14/19 16:09
Re: Sleeping PRR Alco
Author: rhitchco

I have always wondered why some railroads "blanked out" the top windows on RS-2's and -3 cabs. Others did not. Anybpdy know why?

Thanks,
mogul2us

Date: 09/14/19 16:47
Author: CPR_4000

rhitchco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have always wondered why some railroads "blanked
> out" the top windows on RS-2's and -3 cabs. Others
> did not. Anybpdy know why?

Expense of replacing broken glass, and I'm sure the extra windows could make the cab hotter on a sunny day.

Date: 09/14/19 17:02
Author: BuddPullman

Very interesting set of photos, nicely done.  Thank you for sharing, I hope the loco is saved.

Date: 09/14/19 17:22
Author: CR900945

When the FRA started mandating bullet resistant glass, the railroads started blanking out non-essential windows.  This included but was not limited to ALCO RS3 windows looking over the middle of the hood, switchers with the same, extra side windows such as on SOO U30C's, all manner of caboose windows, etc.

Date: 09/14/19 18:13
Author: wabash2800

Are there any other PRR RS3s that have been preserved?

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 09/14/19 18:20
Author: CPR_4000

wabash2800 Wrote:
> Are there any other PRR RS3s that have been preserved?

The Florida Railroad Museum in Parrish has PRR 8604, but it's being used as a parts supply for their ex-NYC 8277 that's been restrored as SAL 1633.

I'm pretty sure the one in the OP's photos has been pretty well picked over and stripped -- IIRC it was the parts supply when ARHS originally restored the CNJ unit that's currently on DL. I wonder what, if any components are left inside? That said, a PRR RS3 stuffed and mounted and externally restored, even if an empty hulk, would make a good museum display (hello RR Museum of PA?). The hulk of GN 229 is displayed at Schenectady NY: http://www.gngoat.org/gn_229.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/19 19:04 by CPR_4000.

Date: 09/14/19 18:36
Author: SD45X

And the location is?

Date: 09/14/19 18:36
Author: eastpenn23

Where is this?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/14/19 19:50
Author: GoodTimeCharlie

I'm going to bet this is the loco back alongside the Phila Inquirer plant in Swedeland, PA.   I've seen a few photo essays on this unit over the years.   As CSXperiment mentions, this guy is almost consumed by nature.

GTC

Date: 09/15/19 05:46
Author: chuchubob

wabash2800 Wrote:
> Are there any other PRR RS3s that have been
> preserved?
>
> Victor A. Baird
> http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Cape May Seashore Lines has RS3M CMSL 8481, which was built as PRR 8481 in June, 1952.
Photos from 2006 and 2007 at Tuckahoe, Upper Township, Cape May County, NJ.  It is still there.

Date: 09/15/19 09:31
Author: GoodTimeCharlie

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0601 seconds