Home Open Account Help 287 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Car camping spots near mainlines in PA/MD

Date: 09/17/19 21:44
Car camping spots near mainlines in PA/MD
Author: inCHI

I've got a drive from Michigan to Delaware where I want to take a sleeping break somewhere in western or central PA or Maryland next to a mainline. I'm wondering what spots anyone knows of where parking a car overnight isn't an issue. My timing for the brake will be so late that it isn't worth getting a motel somewhere. In the morning I'd take a little time to fan before doing the last 2-5 hours of the drive. Based on that I'm wondering if there is somewhere along CSX between Pittsburgh and central Maryland, or somewhere along the NS Middle Division (or similar.)

Date: 09/18/19 06:29
Re: Car camping spots near mainlines in PA/MD
Author: dschlegel

Cassandra PA might be an option on the NS west slope.

Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/18/19 09:20
Author: SD70M

Shenandoah Junction WV should be OK for an overnight visit

Date: 09/18/19 10:38
Author: inCHI

Thanks for the tips! I'll look into those.

Date: 09/18/19 13:17
Author: howeld

I always use Point of Rocks Amtrak station for short naps on way from Ohio to DC. May be on your way if you choose to avoid the PA turnpike.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/18/19 14:40
Author: toledopatch

howeld Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I always use Point of Rocks Amtrak station for
> short naps on way from Ohio to DC. May be on
> your way if you choose to avoid the PA turnpike.

That's a MARC station. The closest Amtrak stop is at Harpers Ferry.

There are also several suitable pull-offs in the Sand Patch area, which can be along the way if you take U.S. 219, PA-160, and I-68 to bypass part of the PA Turnpike.

Date: 09/18/19 16:09
Author: warren1977

West slope of Sand Patch, GAP trail access points and parking lots at Salisbury Viaduct (east end), and at the Keystone road crossing, all the great old spots on the east slope are pretty much no go now.
Mexico Farms Road, just off MD 51 east of Cumberland, turn right just before the bridge over CSX to access large gravel lot frequented by railfans.
Hancock,MD./WVA; cross Potomac River on US522 South, turn left before end of bridge to north side of tracks, public road goes to airfield, but passes behind former B&O depot.
On the former PRR Middle Division the most logical spot would seem to be Lewistown station.
I camped at the site of the Thompsontown,PA. station 20 years ago, but don't recommend that today. There are new railfan cabins just up the street; www.milepost142.com.
Perhaps Keith at the Bridgeview should rent parking spots for this purpose?

Date: 09/18/19 23:02
Author: zfan

I was thinking Shenandoah Jct. too.  Looks like good parking spot there near web cam.  Not sure if it's legal for over night though. 

Date: 09/18/19 23:34
Author: SD70M

I have done a couple of all nighters at Shenandoah Jct, one as recently as August this year. The land by the webcam is privately owned, but it says that railfans are welcome. I had no problems at all, just could have done with more trains, as others like D Davies have alluded to, it does not get as much traffic as it once did

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0308 seconds