Home Open Account Help 193 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Norfolk Southern Heritage...the real McCoy

Date: 10/03/19 11:50
Norfolk Southern Heritage...the real McCoy
Author: mp208

NS unit coal 746 quietly "pounds" the CSXT diamond at Charles Town, WV.  Proudly in the lead is the namesake heritage unit 8114. The diamond frogs must be a relative of the now commonplace OWLS configuration.  09/03/19 

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/03/19 15:45
Re: Norfolk Southern Heritage...the real McCoy
Author: jmbreitigan

Interesting video of a location new to me.
John

Date: 10/04/19 09:45
Author: bbethmann

Nice video...... pardon my ignorance but is the OWLS diamond one where the lesser use track is somehow relegated to the higher use straight through track. Seems I recall that one is somewhat higher than the other and leaves a gap for the superior track/train flange..... or something like that.

BB in Spokane (where all our diamonds are of the loud variety)

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/04/19 10:39
Author: cinder

The "OWLS" diamond is installed when one railroad doesn't give a "hoot" about the railroad it crosses.  Below are pictures of a similar diamond at Riverton Jct. VA, just north of Front Royal.  Here the NS B-Line crosses the NS H-Line.

Date: 10/04/19 12:03
Author: mp208

The "underdog" (or lower speed) trains cross the diamonds on the flanges of the wheels, rather than the treads.  This allows the higher speed line to have no gaps in their rail for the flanges of the underdog's trains. Much less maintanence and much quieter.  

Date: 10/04/19 19:41
Author: 3rdswitch

They now have newer BOTH way HIGH SPEED crossings which I observed for the first time on my trip back east to Summerail. Both directions are high speed and both directions ride on the flanges. I was very suprised to see this. Never saw these out west. I think they are also at Deshler as I wondered why no banging? First observance was CSX NS crossing at Attica Jct, OH.
JB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/19 19:45 by 3rdswitch.

Date: 10/23/19 16:27
Author: railtrackdesign

Both Railroads legal departments approve the installation of an OWLS diamond. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0377 seconds