Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSX coal train in Williamsburg, VA

Date: 10/04/19 04:54
CSX coal train in Williamsburg, VA
Author: OCtrainguy

Still going through photos from my trip to Williamsburg, VA and the surrounding area the beginning of August.  One of the things I was hoping to see was a CSX coal train on the line to Newport News.  When I was able to, I'd be at the Amtrak station, to catch an Amtrak train and in hopes of seeing a coal train.  While I didn't see a coal train for most of the week, my perseverance paid off on August 3rd.  My son, who joined us the night before, claims he brought the good luck!  We not only saw one loaded coal train, but two of them.  Here are some photos.

1.  Approaching the station and we just heard the rumble of the engine, no train horn for the nearby crossing
2.  Trailing engine
3.  The mix of cars on this train

More to follow..  

Date: 10/04/19 04:57
Re: CSX coal train in Williamsburg, VA

Continuing the photos..

4.  This coal train had two DPU engines
5.  2nd DPU engine
6.  The second loaded coal train heading past the station.  This one didn't have DPUs.

Just a couple more and a video to follow.. 

Date: 10/04/19 05:07

Last of the photos.

7.  Trailing engine on the coal train
8.  This one had some UP hoppers on it, caught us by surprise, but it was a nice surprise

The video is of the first coal train with the DPUs on them.  Hope you enjoy!

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/04/19 06:03
Author: AndyBrown

I remember Williamsburg very well from my time in the service stationed in Norfolk; I always thought it was a  nice depot.  I rode Amtrak through there many times back and forth, and the bus connection to Norfolk.

Andy

Date: 10/04/19 06:40
Author: goneon66

i really enjoyed that video.  thanks for showing the entire train..........

Date: 10/04/19 07:53
Author: engineerinvirginia

You won't hear the horn in Williamsbug unless they are passing signals or tooting an emergency.....for that part of town is a quiet zone....bell only from the station to and over the next eastward road crossing. 

Date: 10/04/19 23:45
Author: boejoe

Looks like a track was adjacent to the platform at one time.

Date: 10/05/19 05:48
Author: emd_mrs1

boejoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like a track was adjacent to the platform at
> one time.

It used to be a double track mainline with a pull in siding track for the station (maybe a half mile long) as well as a station track and some customer tracks in the parking area west of the station. There was even a coal unloading trestle to serve nearby Eastern State hospital.

Henry Street has always been 'no horn, ring bell' to allow for minimal disruption to the colonial restored capitol area adjacent.

Michael

Date: 10/06/19 16:45

Thanks to all for the info on the grade crossing.  I was only at the crossing once, but didn't see any signs indicating a quiet zone.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0436 seconds