Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Strasburg freight and cars on 9/27

Date: 10/12/19 17:10
Strasburg freight and cars on 9/27
Author: OCtrainguy

My son and I were out in Strasburg the last weekend in September.  On Friday, after catching the last Strasburg train on Friday, we hung around the Red Caboose Motel a bit as the switcher was moving cars around in the yard, so we waited to see what may happen.  After a while, the freight crew came out of the yard with three cars for interchange with NS.  I photographed the train at the crossing.

We waited for a little over an hour for the train to return, but it didn't, see we headed over to Strasburg.  More photos to follow.. 

Date: 10/12/19 17:17
Re: Strasburg freight and cars on 9/27

My son and I were pleasantly surprised by the amount of freight cars we saw at Strasburg.  They were everywhere in the yard!  That's great for Strasburg.  There were a lot of ACF cars and several Canada and Canadian Wheat Board cars.  As we were doing that, we heard the switcher's horn for the grade crossing by the Red Caboose.  

They did have another ACF car with them, but tied it down near the crossing so the switcher came up by itself to take care of the needed switches.  I used the barn as a photo prop for the switcher's movements.  The last photo shows the car and the switcher.  The freight crew would go back to do some work as my son and I left.

Some of the freight cars we saw will follow.  

Date: 10/12/19 17:21

Some of the freight cars.

1.  Canadian National with the wheat symbol for Canada
2.  Canadian Nation lettered for NOKL
3.  Alberta grain car

More to follow.. 

Date: 10/12/19 17:23

More freight cars..

4.  Government of Canada car lettered for CN
5.  Canadian Wheat Board car letter for CN
6.  KCS boxcar with a string of ACF cars

A few more to follow.

Date: 10/12/19 17:28

Last of the photos.  There were cars on track that extends between the Thomas shop and the restrooms as well as over by the engine shed where the 611 was parked.

7.  A very faded Government of Cananda car
8.  Another Canadian Wheat Board car and behind that is one of the newer/new to NS cars.  

This is all great news for Strasburg that they had all these freight cars.  There were even some at the Leaman Place picnic grove and over by the Choo Choo Barn.  Hope you enjoy the photos!

Date: 10/12/19 22:02
Author: P

That is a lot of freight cars. I presume they dont own any of them, therefore they were all in the process of being loaded/unloaded?

Posted from Android

Date: 10/12/19 22:40
Author: pdt

https://www.strasburgrailroad.com/freight/

They built a whole new freight transfer facility and team track.  Fertilzer and feed seem to be the 2 biggest inbound commodities, with lumber and bio fuels to a lesser extant.    Wonder if they will start loading outbound grains some day...altho their are several local flour mills that wheat can be trucked to...

Date: 10/13/19 12:26
Author: Kemacprr

I thought I had heard that the RR had purchased some property next to the existing Amtrak /NS interchange. The interchange track stubs there now but it looks like room for expansion. -----  Ken 

Date: 10/13/19 15:11
Author: HB90MACH

They were doing really good on just the tourist dollar. Does all this recent freight have to do with thier 1832 charter? or just taking advantage of potential traffic dollar potential? What was the largest extent of the railroad at one time?

Date: 10/14/19 05:49
Author: Gonut1

Just running a business. The railroad never extended beyond its current length except a couple hundred feet to a former business.
Gonut

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0555 seconds