Home Open Account Help 210 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Earlier this evening in Cincinnati it all came together

Date: 10/13/19 20:25
Earlier this evening in Cincinnati it all came together
Author: tq-07fan

In keeping with my goal to do a little (or a lot of) railfanning every Sunday I left my camera in the car during work with the day being cooler. After filling out a Run-Trade with one of my friends after work it was to make a quick check of signals for anything coming across the Ohio River. I heard someone call out a clear signal at OB Cabin which is immediately on the Kentucky side of the C & O Bridge. I checked out the signals at CT Junction and continued into the parking lot at Longworth Hall, which is the former B & O freight station. After picture one I reported the the pedestrian footbridge across Sixth Street / US 50. When I got there NS was coming across the Ohio River from Kentucky on their massive bridge.
1) Coming under I-75 with Downtown Cincinnati in the background.
2) Up onto the footbridge just in time to get a shot toward the sun, but without getting the sun in it.
3) Looking the other way and my CSX grain train has started across the bridge across Sixth Street.

Date: 10/13/19 20:26
Re: Earlier this evening in Cincinnati it all came together

The CSX grain train was coming around the Southeast Approach at the same time at about the same speed for a pretty cool result..
4) CSX on what was the Southeast Approach to Union Terminal. The abutments with no bridge are left over from the Southeast Approach which was removed after Amtrak stopped using Cincinnati Union Terminal in the early 70's. The signal cantilever is for the CSX to go into Queensgate Yard via B & O Jct
5) NS crossing the same CSX line. At one time this was all railway yards under here, part of which was for Fruit Express. 
6) It happens, but usually not when I am there to take a picture. A train from each of our Class 1 railways in Cincinnati have crossed the Ohio River on their respective bridges and arrive at more or less together.

Thank You for Looking!

Jim

Date: 10/14/19 04:43
Author: cabsignaldrop

Nice Jim!

Posted from Android

Date: 10/14/19 06:20
Author: refarkas

My favorite is your last image. Getting both trains at the same time helps make this great.
Bob

Date: 10/14/19 11:01
Author: Matt_Gidley

I railfanned that area once while in Cincy - such a great area!  Thanks for the pics. Feel free to post more!

Date: 10/15/19 12:22
Author: bluesboyst

Great pics... Always remember that skyline in pic 1 when  used to pull in on the Pan from Louisville or on the Cardinal in the Amtrak era...Are the those old abutments from the Ditch Track?    I also see my place of employment... US Bank.... final place of employment :) 

Date: 10/15/19 19:40

Thank you all!

Yes bluesboyst, those are the abutments for the Ditch Track in picture 1. How cool would that have been to get a shot of the Cardinal backing up that ramp? Although I seen it from far away all that and so much more was gone by the time I moved down here from Dayton.

Jim

Date: 10/16/19 12:03
Author: bluesboyst

tq-07fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you all!
>
> Yes bluesboyst, those are the abutments for the
> Ditch Track in picture 1. How cool would that have
> been to get a shot of the Cardinal backing up that
> ramp? Although I seen it from far away all that
> and so much more was gone by the time I moved down
> here from Dayton.
>
> Jim

When  arrived on the Cardinal in 74 and 79 I went down that ramp.   I took the Cardinal in 83 also but cannot remember if the ditch track was still in service

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0649 seconds