Home Open Account Help 223 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Flare Friday: DREI style

Date: 11/08/19 06:18
Flare Friday: DREI style
Author: santafe199

One of the great perks of our hobby is bumping into a railfan or 2 you’ve heard of, but never met face to face. On my journey to Indianapolis last month I met TO members Joe Luka (‘trainatic’) & Roger Holmes (‘Q4960’). I vaguely knew Joe’s screen moniker, but I’ve known Roger in TO “cyberspace” since 2011, my first year of membership. Roger is well acquainted with a pair of Illinois cities (Bloomington/Normal) I’ve had cousins living in all my life. So we have PM-ed back & forth a few times.

I was passing through Decatur when I spotted these 2 fans at the former Wabic tower on the west side of town. When we discovered we all knew each other’s name via TO, it was like ‘old-home week’. And the pleasant chatter was non-stop. When the time came, and I was fixin’ to part ways they told me that the local short line -D&REI- had a newly painted SD45 on the roster. Sure enough, on my way east through town there it was, sitting at their mechanical facility. Cloudy weather be hanged, I had to take a few shots. Thanks, guys…

1. & 2. D&REI SD45 4234 sits in Decatur, IL on October 10, 2019.

3. Close-up of the spiffy logo, if I do say so myself!

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/19 06:18 by santafe199.

Date: 11/08/19 07:50
Re: Flare Friday: DREI style
Author: mtzctrain

The DREI is set to recieve two more sd-40s with flares any day now for use on the road trains.
Glad you got to see the highlight of the DREI roster while you were in town!
    -Caleb

Date: 11/08/19 08:04
Author: santafe199

mtzctrain Wrote: > ... set to receive two more sd-40s with flares ...

Aha! Thanks, and I'll stand corrected!
Shucks... one of the guys probably mentioned it was an SD40 w/ flare, but I just didn't retain the 'intelligence'... ;^)

Lance/199

Date: 11/08/19 09:08
Author: zephyrus

Originally built as Burlington Northern 6520 in 1971.  Later rebuilt to SD40M-2 for Southern Pacific.

Z

Date: 11/09/19 03:32
Author: gbmott

I’m not familiar with the WAMX reporting marks; is this a shortline holding company or a locomotive lessor?

Gordon

Date: 11/09/19 05:03
Author: KimHeusel

gbmott Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I’m not familiar with the WAMX reporting marks;
> is this a shortline holding company or a
> locomotive lessor?
>
> Gordon

Watco

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,4898066

Date: 11/09/19 05:17
Author: gbmott

Thanks.

Gordon

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0354 seconds